On a snowy & blustery day, you’ll be glad to know how to bake Winter Spice Cake.
Not to mention, we serve this cake with a Hot Cake Sauce – absolutely divine!
Enjoy the warm aromas of comforting spices throughout the house, and bring smiles out on everyone’s face.
Winter Spice Cake:
Cozy up by the fireplace, and enjoy a slice!
Type: Cake Recipe
Yield: one 9 inch tube cake pan
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 45 – 55 min
- Note: It is important to have all ingredients at room temperature before you begin.
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp yogurt or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree or mashed sweet potato
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
Review Show: Epicureal Saigon Cinnamon
- Note: Have available a greased 9 inch tube pan, or 8 inch or 10 inch fluted tube pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together until thoroughly combined, the following dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, cayenne, salt & orange zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy, using a mixer or hand mixer.
- Gradually add brown sugar, and beat on high speed until light & fluffy – about 2-4 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and then beat in pumpkin puree.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture in 4 parts, alternating with the buttermilk or yogurt, and beat until smooth.
- Note: Be sure to scrape the sides with a rubber spatula, to ensure all the flour has been incorporated.
- Using clean beaters, in another clean bowl & on medium speed, beat egg whites & cream of tartar for 30 seconds.
- On high speed, gradually add white sugar to the egg whites, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form, but the whites are not dry.
- With a rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of egg whites into the flour & egg mixture, until well dispersed. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared tube pan & spread evenly.
- Bake 45 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven & cool for 30 minutes. Then, allow to cool upside down, on a wire cooling rack, until cake reaches room temperature.
Hot Cake Sauce:
This thick, Hot Cake Sauce topping my Winter Spice Cake has just a hint of maple flavor.
Type: Sauce Recipe
Yield: about 2-1/4 cups
Prep Time: about 30 min
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice or ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
Review Show: Epicureal Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Stir in sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice or ground ginger, salt & water, and stir until sugar dissolves & thickens somewhat. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg until frothy.
- Add a small amount of sauce to frothy egg, and whisk vigorously.
- Gradually add egg mixture to the sauce pan, stirring constantly.
- Return to heat, and stir until sauce has thickened to the degree desired.
- Remove from heat, and stir heavy cream into the sauce.
- Drizzle over or smother your winter spice cake with hot cake sauce, for a positively glorious dessert.
If a dessert could be described as being hearty, this cake, drizzled with the thick, hot cake sauce, would easily fit that description.
Check out our Cake Shows:
Playlist: Cake Recipes + Reviews
This recipe for Winter Spice Cake is one that will earn a special place in your recipe file.
- How to Bake Lemon Cake Loaf with Poppy Seeds
- How to Bake Chiffon Cake: National Cake Day
- How to Bake Sponge Cake: National Boston Cream Pie Day
- National Dessert Day: How to Bake Fudge Chiffon Cake
- How to Bake Dark & Delicious Holiday Fruit Cake