Many recipes during the Holiday season call for Pumpkin Puree, and we are going to make sure you have this recipe under your belt.
Now, you can go with store bought pie filling when you’re making your Holiday pumpkin pie, but this is one place you will be happy you didn’t cheat, if you make your own pumpkin puree yourself.
How to Cook Pumpkin Puree:
About 7 pounds of fresh pumpkin will make 5 cups of puree.
Type: Sauce Recipe
Serve with: a hearty main meat like honey ham
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 20 – 25 min
Yields: enough puree for 3 pumpkin pies
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Scrub the pumpkin first, removing seeds to save & toast for a separate, tasty snack.
- Cut the pumpkin up into manageable chunks.
- Lightly coat with oil.
- Bake in oven in a greased pan at 325 degrees F with the pumpkin rind side down until it is very tender – about 1 1/2 – 2 hrs.
- Scrape pumpkin from rind & puree in food processor or mash well. * Tip: If this mixture is too wet, strain it through cheesecloth until the water drips through – about 1 hr.
- Reserve as the main ingredient for your pumpkin pie filling.
- Tip: If you don’t need all of the prepared pumpkin puree, just freeze it for another time.
Pumpkin puree is easy to make and provides such flavor to so many dishes.
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Sugar Pumpkins at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- How to Make Pumpkin Pie: National Pumpkin Day
- Web Chef Review: Hand-Painted Artisan Pumpkins at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- How to Toast Pumpkin Seeds + Video
- How to Cook Ginger Chicken Soup in a Pumpkin + Video