National Boston Cream Pie Day is October 23rd, and this wonderful Sponge Cake recipe will provide you with the cake layers you need for BCP!
Boston Cream Pie is such an impressive, decadent dessert, and it’s so lovely to look at, especially presented on a footed cake stand.
Your guests will comment forever and-a-day as to the flavor of this rich, fluffy cake, and the chocolate topping makes it appealing to one & all.
How to Bake Sponge Cake:
Prepare, in advance, a sponge cake or layer cake sliced into two 9-inch layers.
To fill, use about 1 3/4 cups of pastry cream. Leave the sides uncovered & cover the top with chocolate butter icing.
My recipe for the sponge cake yields two 9-inch round layers, or one 9-inch layer sliced in half.
Type: Cake Recipe
Serve with: pastry cream & chocolate
Prep Time: 15 – 20 min
Bake Time: 15 – 20 min
Yields: two 9-inch round layers, or one 9-inch layer sliced in half
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line tins with parchment.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder & salt together.
- In a separate bowl, beat well, 3 egg yolks and gradually add in sugar.
- Beat in boiling water & add orange zest, lemon juice & vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar.
- Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the batter. Then, half of the sifted dry ingredients. Next, 1/3 of the egg whites & half of sifted dry ingredients. Then, the last 1/3 of the egg whites. * Tip: Do not over-mix.
- Scrape batter into tins & bake on the middle oven rack until the top springs back when lightly pressed & a toothpick comes out clean – about 15 – 20 min, depending on the oven.
- Remove & let cool. Remove from baking tin.
National Boston Cream Pie Day is that much better with a homemade sponge cake to make it with.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this American Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- National Dessert Day: How to Bake Fudge Chiffon Cake
- How to Bake a Christmas Chocolate Log + Video
- How to Bake Chiffon Cake: National Cake Day
- How to Bake Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake: National Chocolate Day
- How to Bake Lemon Cake Loaf with Poppy Seeds