I am a particular fan of lemon cake & topped off with poppy seeds – it’s just too good!
Topped with a delicious, tangy, fresh lemon & sugar syrup…It just doesn’t get better than this.
How to Bake Lemon Cake Loaf with Poppy Seeds:
To be completely beyond delicious, sift some confectioners sugar over the serving tray first. Then, place the partially sliced cake & remaining loaf on the sugared tray. Use your imagination to present this delicious cake loaf.
Type: Cake Recipe
Serve with: lemon glaze
Prep Time: 12 min
Bake Time: 35 – 45 min in a fluted tube pan, 55 min – 1 hr 5 min in a loaf pan
Yields: 8 1/2 x 4 inch loaf or 8 inch tube cake or fluted bundt cake
- 3 eggs – separated yolks from whites
- 3 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour – sifted
- 3/4 cup + 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3/4 tbsp lemon zest – grated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter – softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk & vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until peaks form, but not to the point of being dry.
- In another bowl, whisk together thoroughly, sifted cake flour, 3/4 cup sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder & salt.
- Add half of the egg yolk mixture to the flour mixture, along with softened unsalted butter.
- Beat on low until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to high speed & beat for 1 min.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, and gradually add the rest of the egg mixture in 2 parts. Beat for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Scrape the batter into your pan of choice & spread evenly.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean – about 35 – 45 min in a fluted tube pan, 55 min – 1 hr 5 min in a loaf pan. * Tip: Just before the cake is done, combine & heat gently in a small sauce pan, 1/3 cup sugar & fresh lemon juice (make sure no seeds fall in).
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke a wooden skewer into the cake in a few spots & brush it with lemon & sugar mixture.
- Loosen edges from the pan with a knife & cool upside down on a rack.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Lemon Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Bake Chiffon Cake: National Cake Day
- How to Bake Angel Food Cake
- How to Bake Sponge Cake: National Boston Cream Pie Day
- National Dessert Day: How to Bake Fudge Chiffon Cake
- How to Bake a Lemon Jelly Roll + Video: Easter Surprises