November 26th is National Cake Day, and we are baking a Chiffon Cake!
How to Bake a Chiffon Cake:
Using a 10-inch ungreased tube pan with all ingredients at room temperature.
Type: Cake Recipe
Serve with: coffee, tea or milk
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 55 – 70 min
Cool Time: 1 – 2 hrs
Yields: 1 cake – 10″ tube cake
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups + 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest – grated
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 large egg whites
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk together in a big bowl, flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder & salt.
- Add & beat on high until smooth, egg yolks, water, vegetable oil, lemon zest & vanilla extract.
- Use clean beaters to beat in another large bowl, the egg whites & cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add 1/3 cup sugar while beating on high speed.
- Beat egg whites until stiff enough to lose their sheen.
- Use a spatula to fold 1/4 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture, and then fold in the remainder of the egg white mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan & spread evenly.
- Bake at 325 degrees F until the top springs back when depressed slightly, and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake – about 55 – 70 min for baking in a tube pan.
- Cool the cake upside down in the pan, as you do for angel food cakes.
- Unmold the cake when cooled to room temperature by sliding a thin knife between the cake & the pan to detach it from the pan & use this same method to remove the cake from the tube. * Tip: If the bottom is removable, lift the cake up by the tube & run the knife around the bottom to detach it.
At this point, you can make a tasty icing and spread it on the cake, or serve it with whipped cream & berries, garnished with lemon zest, if desired.
National Cake Day has me super excited with this lovely Chiffon Cake recipe at hand.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Dessert Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- National Dessert Day: How to Bake Fudge Chiffon Cake
- How to Bake Lemon Cake Loaf with Poppy Seeds
- How to Bake Sponge Cake: National Boston Cream Pie Day
- How to Bake Angel Food Cake
- How to Bake a Winter Spice Cake