Type: Dessert Recipe
Serve With: Fruit fillings, meringues, chocolate and the like!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 3-4 min or until golden
Yield: 9′ pie crust
- 2 cups Saltine cracker crumbs – Crush them yourself.
- 1/2 cup butter – melted
- 1/8 cup water
- Crush the saltine crackers in a large Ziploc bag with a rolling pin or jar until they are just crumbs, or you can crush them in a food processor.
- In a bowl, combine saltine cracker crumbs, melted butter and water until combined. * Tip: The mixture should ball together, but not be very wet. If they do not stick, add 1 tsp of water at a time until they do.
- Pour the mixture into your pie plate, and press the crumbs onto the bottom and sides evenly to make a crust without holes or dips.
- A) If you are baking the pie in the oven, you don’t need to par-bake the saltine crust. B) However, if you are making a no-bake pie, such as a lemon meringue or millionaire pie, you need to bake on 375 for 3-4 min or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow pie crust to cool for 1 hr before filling it, if you just baked the crust.
- Fill the crust with your pie filling and bake, if necessary for filling, or fill crust and serve when filling is set, as in the case of ‘no-bake’ pies.
My aunt makes a fabulous cherry tart with a saltine crust! I prefer it to a pastry shell.
I hope you enjoyed this “How to Cook” post on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
[tags]saltines, Premium Plus crackers, cracker recipes, crackers, pie recipe, pie crust recipe, pie shell recipe, vegetarian recipe, dessert recipe, tarts recipe, pastry alternative[/tags]
- How to Make a Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Incredible Ritz Cracker Pie
- How to Bake Mom’s Classic Pie Crust
- How to Make No-Bake Cheesecake
- How to Make Amazing Angel Pie