I picked up some Mexican Key Limes from Harvest Barn Country Markets & I am so excited…
These limes are a lovely green color, they come in a nice mesh bag holding about 25 key limes to allow air circulation, and they smell amazing.
Find out about this product on this webisode of What I Say About Food:
The flavor of these key limes is like none other, and somewhat different from the regular limes that are pretty well a staple in most supermarkets. Though I have heard that you can substitute regular limes for key limes, the flavor is so different that, in my opinion, it won’t pass for being the same pie.
Their skin is quite thin, their aroma is very fresh, and they have more seeds.
The name “Key Lime” was given to this lime variety because they are grown throughout the Florida Keys, they are also called West Indian limes, as well as a couple other names.
It is good to know that I can get key limes at Harvest Barn Country Markets because they are difficult to find at the local supermarkets here.
I am impressed with the fact that Harvest Barn Country Markets attempt, as much as possible, to bring in to their market, fresh local produce and other food products, from within a 100 mile radius of their two locations – one in Niagara-on-the-Lake and one in St. Catharines, southern Ontario. You can find them online too:
In this way, the produce can be picked ripe, and it has only a short distance to travel to market and the produce is more apt to arrive without bruising so the produce is fresher and will taste better. Our local farmers need the support of their communities in order to continue providing food crops to us, and to maintain their farmland and support their demanding farm lifestyle.
- Haskapa Lime Milkshakes
- Avocado Lime Deviled Eggs
- Guilt-Free Fish n’ Chips with Lime Mayo
- Barbecued Spicy Cilantro Chicken Burgers
- Fish Burgers with Spicy Cilantro Lime Mayo
- Cilantro & Lime Tuna Melts
- Coconut Lime Cream Sauce for Desserts
I hope you stop in at Harvest Barn Country Markets and pick up some of these fantastic, Mexican key limes to make something special for your family and friends.
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Horseradish at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- Web Chef Review: Harvest Barn Country Markets Ontario Kale
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Asparagus at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Brussel Sprouts at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Lettuce at Harvest Barn Country Markets