Oh National Corned Beef Hash Day…what a wonderful start to the day!
Take each ingredient in a hash and really, they aren’t special at all…
The word hash is derived from the French verb, “to chop” – hacher.
This cured and cooked meat is chopped up and mixed with delicious seasonings and some veggies. Heat it all up in a pan, and you’ve got hash.
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 3/4 lb raw potatoes – about 2 cups
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups corned beef – cooked; 1/2 inch dice
- 4 tbsp broth or water
- 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 – 4 tbsp gravy – if you have it; or an additional 2 tbsp broth or water
- 1/4 tsp thyme or sage
- salt & pepper – to taste
- In a large frying pan, sautee onion with 1 tbsp olive oil until translucent on medium low heat on stove top.
- Remove onion from pan and add potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook through until lightly browned and fork tender, about 5-6 min on medium heat, stirring frequently. * Tips: If using raw potatoes, 1/2″ dice is great. You may use cooked potatoes to speed up the time of cooking. Heat through and brown.
- When potatoes are browned, add onions back into pan. Add corned beef. Stir and cook on medium heat for 6-7 min. * Tip: Throwing in the meat at the last second is best.
- Stir in 4 tbsp broth or water, ketchup, gravy (or broth/water), thyme or sage, and salt & pepper to taste.
- When fully cooked, press into a cake and leave alone in the pan on the heat until bottom is browned.
- Flip over onto large plate by placing a plate over on top of the hash cake in the frying pan. Then, holding the plate in place, turn skillet over. You will now have the browned side of the cake up.
- Cut into wedges and serve!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Beef Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Fantastic Beef Stew
- How to Cook Irish Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Beef Pot Roast
- How to Cook Zuppa Tuscana + Video: Mother’s Day Delights
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Curried Beef Stew