Chock full of sausage, kale & potatoes, with a flavorful & creamy broth, your family and friends will love it!
How to Cook Zuppa Tuscana:
This is one of our favorite soups.
Type: Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
Yield: ~ 10 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- ~ 12 cups cold water – total
- 2 large bunches of kale – washed & drained
- ~ 1 doz fingerling potatoes or other potatoes – sliced; yielding about 4 cups of sliced potatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion – diced
- 1 lb sausage of your choosing – preferably Italian sausage
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 18 freshly ground peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano – finely chopped; if you have it, or dried will be okay
- 1 tbsp butter
- Into a large stockpot or cooking pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add in sausage and brown. Once browned, remove sausage from pot and set aside.
- Into the same stockpot, add the onion and cook, stirring often, until somewhat translucent. Then, stir in the garlic & salt, and continue stirring for 1 – 2 min being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add about 6 cups of water to stockpot, to prevent garlic and onions from burning.
- Remove ribs from kale and tear into bite-sized pieces. Add into stockpot.
- Return sausage back to stockpot.
- Add enough water to cover the kale in the stockpot – about 6 more cups, depending on size of pot and amount of kale used.
- Bring water to a boil on medium heat and then turn to a simmer, cooking for about 1 hr.
- Add potatoes to soup, stir and cook until tender – about 10 – 15 min.
- When soup is cooked, stir in cream and finish with butter.
- To finish, add in fresh oregano, correct seasoning, and stir through.
This recipe for how to cook Zuppa Tuscana is so hearty and satisfying that all you need to accompany it is a loaf of fresh bread and dinner is done.
I hope you enjoy this Italian Food Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Mennonite Green Bean Soup
- How to Cook Instant Garlic Mashed Potatoes + Video
- How to Cook Healthier Cream of Spinach Soup
- How to Cook Irish Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Web Chef Review: Harvest Barn Country Markets Ontario Kale