Cream of Roasted Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup is exactly what you want to cozy up with this time of year!
We are hauling gorgeous squashes out of our kitchen garden this time of year, and I’ve been harvesting our sweet potatoes as well! This recipe is a beautiful way of using seasonal produce in a super delicious way!
Cream of Roasted Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup:
The butternut squash & sweet potato come from Harvest Barn Country Markets in Niagara-on-the-Lake, one of their two locations, with the other being in St. Catharines, Ontario. You can find them online at HarvestBarn.ca.
Harvest Barn provides super fresh produce and these vegetables are Ontario grown. Harvest Barn Country Markets bring in their fresh produce and other products from within a 100 mile radius of their markets, whenever possible.
Type: Soup Recipe
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 hrs
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1/2 butternut squash – wash & pat dry
- 1 sweet potato – wash & pat dry
- 10 cups stock – chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika – I used La Chinata Hot Smoked Paprika.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- a handful each of roughly chopped herbs – parsley & chives
- 1 cup heavy cream – tofu or yogurt
Review Show: La Chinata Hot Smoked Paprika Powder
Options for Herbs & Spices:
Options for Broth/Stock:
Cooking Shows: Broth & Stock Recipes + Reviews
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice squash lengthwise, using a sturdy sharp knife. Scrape out the seeds and stringy fibers. Set seeds aside to roast later, if desired.
- Chop squash into manageable sized pieces for roasting, and place into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp pepper & 1/4 tsp sea salt. Toss squash pieces with olive oil, and place on a greased roasting tray, or line the tray with a silicone sheet.
- Peel sweet potato, if needed, to remove any blemishes.
- Chop sweet potato into chunks, about the same size as the squash. Toss with olive oil, 1/4 tsp pepper & 1/4 tsp sea salt, and place on same roasting tray with squash.
- Place roasting tray into preheated oven for 15 minutes, and then reduce heat to 350 degrees F, until vegetables are fork tender – about 45-55 minutes.
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven.
- Into a soup pot, pour 10 cups of stock and add a bay leaf, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp sea salt, cinnamon stick, garlic cloves, brown sugar, smoked hot paprika, parsley, chives, nutmeg & ginger, and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to a simmer, on medium heat.
- When vegetables have cooled, scrape or peel the flesh from the skins and add into the soup pot. Stir well, and allow to cook for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf & cinnamon stick.
- Using an immersion blender (or stick blender), blend until the soup is smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of cream to round out the flavors.
- Taste and correct seasonings, if needed.
- Note: In this case, I have added a dash or two of ground cinnamon and another tbsp brown sugar.
- When you are satisfied with the soup seasonings, turn off heat. Finish it off with a dab of butter (about a teaspoon), and stir through.
Review Show: Epicureal Saigon Cinnamon
This gorgeous, creamy, delicious soup is absolutely bursting with flavor upon flavor. I like to garnish the soup with a couple criss-crossed fresh chive strands and a sprinkling of squash seeds. You could garnish with parsley or a dollop of sour cream.
This soup is so good, rich and hearty, I wish I could eat more. I just can’t get enough!
More Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Recipes:
Cooking Shows: Butternut Squash Recipes + Reviews
Cooking Shows: Sweet Potato Recipes + Reviews
You won’t know what you’re missing, if you don’t try to cook up some cream of roasted butternut squash & sweet potato soup.
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Butternut Squash at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- How to Cook Cream of Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup
- How to Roast Squash Seeds
- Web Chef Review: Harvest Barn Country Markets Ontario Peppers
- How to Cook Very Vegetable Soup