Hot & Sour Soup is certainly an Asian food favorite.
How to Cook Hot & Sour Soup:
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve with: extra rice vinegar & chili oil
Prep Time: 12 min
Steep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 – 20 min
Yields: 6 cups
- 12 wood ear or cloud ear mushrooms
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups + 4 tbsp water – hot
- 12 capers
- 5 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp + 4 tbsp corn starch
- 6 oz center cut pork chops – cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 6 oz tofu – drained & cubed
- 2 large eggs – well beaten
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- scallions – finely sliced for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix & allow to stand for about 1/2 hr, wood ear or cloud ear dried mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, 2 cups hot water & capers. * Tip: If using fresh mushrooms, use double the amount & increase the water to 3 cups.
- In a small bowl, mix & stir, rice vinegar, cayenne pepper, soy sauce & 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch.
- To this mixture, add center cut pork chops cut into 1/4 inch wide strips, and coat.
- Remove mushrooms & capes from steeping liquid & reserve liquid.
- Strain liquid through a sieve or 2 layers of cheesecloth & reserve.
- Cut mushrooms into strips & halve capers. Discard any hard pieces.
- Pour reserved liquid into soup pot & add chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil & add mushrooms, capers & pork into a soup pot.
- Lower heat to a simmer for 3 min.
- Mix together, 4 tbsp water & 4 tbsp corn starch.
- Stir briskly as you add the cornstarch mixture to the soup.
- Add in drained & cubed tofu.
- Season with pepper to taste & adjust salt with soy sauce, if desired.
- Stir in 2 well beaten eggs. This will cook quickly.
- Remove from the heat, stir in sesame oil & garnish with scallion greens to serve.
- Be sure to offer rice vinegar & chili oil to diners at the table.
- Add cabbage or bok choy for additional nutrients & flavor.
This Hot & Sour Soup will knock your socks off, keep you healthy & warm this season.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Asian Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Asian Chicken Stew with Rice
- How to Cook Beef Flavored Asian Rice
- How to Cook Saffron Mushroom Rice
- How to Cook Beef & Pulled Pork Mexican Lasagna: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Cook Smoked Paprika Mushroom Rice