So, I was making Chipotle, Smoked Paprika & Pistachio Crusted Pork Tenderloin and was in much need of a great side dish to go alongside it…Do it justice, so to speak.
I decided to make a “special” rice with the most expensive spice in the world…Saffron. The reason saffron is so expensive is that only one flower produces 2 threads of what we call “saffron”…and it’s labor intensive. They have to be hand-plucked. That’s what gives this spice its hefty price tag…
…But aside from that, saffron imparts a great, savory flavor and the most gorgeous yellow hue. Yum!
The mushrooms? Those were just for good measure. Never underestimate the power of the mushroom. They give so much great flavor to so many dishes.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Serve With: as a side dish with a meal of chicken, pork, fish, beef
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 12 mins
Yield: 4 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below:
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups Asian rice
- 3 large mushrooms – I used baby bellas this time.
- 1 tsp sel gris – If you don’t have this, use the salt you have.
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2-3 strands saffron
- Into a medium sized pot on the stove top, add water, salt & butter, and bring it up to a boil.
- Rinse rice in a strainer or colander with cold water to remove starchy coating.
- Slice mushrooms. You may saute these, if desired, or just throw into pot to boil with rice.
- Once water comes up to a boil, add rinsed rice & saffron. Stir, cover with lid and turn down to lowest heat for 10-12 mins.
- Fluff with a fork, re-season with salt and pepper and/or butter, and serve.
I hope you enjoy this Rice Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Cook Smoked Paprika Mushroom Rice
- How to Cook Green Beans with Buerre Brun Sauce on the Stove
- How to Cook Fiddlehead Ferns
- How to Cook Mushrooms with Port Wine and Balsamic Sauce
- How to Cook Asian Chicken Stew with Rice