Tonight, a simple idea turned into something deliciously complex.
I had the idea of making a chicken stew…since it’s been a while, and a total soup recipe wasn’t turning me on…
I had no idea what flavorings I would use until I started looking around my refrigerator for what I had available.
I saw some baby bok choy I wanted to use up, some carrots, celery and ginger. I was out of mushrooms, but remembered to use some of the amazing dried mushrooms I have in the pantry.
So, Asian food of some kind was what sparked me.
I then threw in some of my favorite spices and went with it. Voila, an amazing Asian-style dish with a flavorful broth served over rice, and you have a fabulous & hearty dinner.
Type: Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 8 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins – 1 hour total
Yield: Serves 4
Ingredients for Stew:
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 large carrots – peeled, sliced into chunks
- 1 stalk celery – sliced into chunks
- 10 Shiitake mushrooms – fresh or dried
- 2 baby bok choy – rinsed, separated
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger – sliced
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 8 peppercorns
- 12 mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 6 cups liquid – chicken stock, water, tea
- 1/2 cup red wine – or sake, if desired
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
Ingredients for Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups Asian style rice – 10 or 20 minute variety
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt – to taste in rice
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper – to taste in rice
Instructions for Stew:
- Preheat large frying pan with peanut oil on medium high heat.
- Brown chicken seasoned lightly with salt & pepper in frying pan on both sides, approximately 10 minutes.
- In a large soup pot on medium high heat, add 6 cups liquid, either water, chicken stock or tea, or any combination of those, with spices and vegetables. Add chicken when browned.
- Bring to a light boil and turn heat down to a simmer covered for 20 minutes. Check on pot and make sure chicken is covered with liquid. Cover and continue to stew for an additional 20-30 minutes, depending on how tender you would like the chicken.
- Taste test and season accordingly. You may want to use soya sauce to make the stew more salty.
- Serve over a bed of rice with some stew broth.
Instructions for Rice:
- In a medium sized sauce pot, boil 3 cups water with butter, salt & pepper.
- Once water has boiled, pour in 1 1/2 cups rice and stir. Cover pot and turn down to lowest heat for 10 minutes or 20 minutes depending upon type of rice. Refer to bag of rice for instructions.
- Remove from heat after proper amount of time, stir with a fork to fluff rice.
- Serve stew over top of this rice with liquid.
I hope you enjoy this Asian Food Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Cook Hot & Sour Soup
- How to Cook Chicken Drumsticks with Tomato Curry and Rice
- How to Cook Beef Flavored Asian Rice
- How to Cook Smoked Paprika Mushroom Rice
- How to Cook Mushroom Risotto: Upscale SuperBowl Treats