This unusual, but delicious vegetable combination of Barbecued Baked Beets and Radishes will be a pleasant surprise to your family and friends and be a unique accompaniment to any entrée dish, especially for Canada Day.
The red colors of these vegetables will be a treat to taste buds & eyes, as the pairing of the beet flavor with the sharp, slightly peppery radish flavor create a most appealing balance.
How to BBQ Baked Beets & Radishes:
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Prep Time: 50 min
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 medium-sized beets – thoroughly brushed & washed, trimmed & patted dry, removing any rough or hard bits on the outside
- 12 medium to large-sized red radishes – washed, trimmed & patted dry
- 2 tbsp butter – melted
- light sprinkle of salt & pepper
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Grease grill rack or spray with non-stick spray. * Note: Have on hand enough aluminum foil to wrap the beets and radishes.
- Place the prepared radishes and beets in a shallow dish and drizzle with melted butter, then mix together so vegetables are completely coated with the butter.
- Place the beets and radishes on the prepared grill and keep turning them until they have quite a few dark grill marks over their surfaces, but do not burn them.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill. Wrap each beet in foil and wrap the radishes 2 per foil package, along with a pat of butter and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Reduce grill temperature to 350 degrees F and cook radishes for about 20 min or until fork tender. Move the radishes to the part of the grill where they will remain warm. Continue to cook the beets for another 20 min or until they are knife tender.
- Remove vegetables from grill and remove the foil, placing them mixed together in a large serving tray. Adjust the seasoning. If desired, the beets can be cut in half for serving.
- You can drizzle the vegetables with more melted butter, if desired, and garnish with minced parsley, or mint.
- How to Cook Grilled Beets Layered with Chevre: 4th of July Fare
- How to Roast Radishes, Scapes, Beets & Parsnips as a Side Dish + Video
- How to Cook Salt Crusted Baked Potatoes + Video
- How to Make Quick Baked Potatoes
- How to Cook Radish Greens + Video