How to Cook Grilled Beets Layered with Chevre:
Since you will be using 2 separate layers of goat cheese, you could use some blue vegetable coloring for half of the cheese, so you end up with a red, white and blue color scheme. Your guests will certainly be impressed.
Type: Appetizer Recipe
Prep Time: 30 min
Cooking time 45 min – 1 hr
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 medium to large-sized beets – scrubbed, peeled & trimmed, sliced into 1/4 inch thick medallions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- about 16 ounces of goat cheese – aka chevre
- 8 oz cream cheese
- pepper & salt – to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- sprinkle of paprika
- blue food coloring – optional
- Preheat grill to hot. Have aluminum foil ready.
- Place scrubbed, peeled, trimmed & sliced beets in a foil pouch & toss with olive oil, salt & pepper. Add 1 tbsp water before closing foil tightly.
- Roast beets on the grill until they are knife tender – about 15 min.
- Remove beets from foil pouch & quickly get grill marks on each side to finish them.
- Take beets off the grill & allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine goat cheese and cream cheese in a medium sized mixing bowl, adding salt & pepper, to taste, and cayenne pepper. Mix well. * Tip: If you would like a red, white & blue presentation, divide the cheese in half & drop blue food coloring into it and mix thoroughly. Add more for a more vibrant blue color. This is optional.
- Place goat cheese in a strip along one end of a large piece of plastic wrap. Then, fold plastic wrap over the goats cheese and start to roll into a cylinder to the end, then twist the ends to compress and help firm up the cheese. Place into refrigerator until very firm.
- Cut the beets into 1/4 inch thick slices. * Tip: Use a paper towel, if they are moist to pat dry, so juice doesn’t bleed into the goat cheese.
- Slice goat cheese using an oiled, sharp knife and cut into 1/4 inch thick medallions.
- To prepare the appetizers, start with a slice of beet on the bottom, followed by a slice of goat cheese, then another beet slice, goat cheese and end with a beet slice on top. Give the stack a little press, so it holds together and garnish with a tiny dollop of goat cheese. sprinkled with a bit of paprika or dill. * Tip: Use one layer of white cheese mixture & one layer of blue cheese mixture for a patriotic presentation.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Upon serving, you may opt to slice the prepared beet medallion stacks into triangular thirds for a snazzy look.
I like to serve these lovely grilled beets layered with chevre appetizers on a white plate, as they are ever-so-tasty and make an attractive presentation as well.
- How to Make Chevre & Pickled Beets on a Bed of Spinach
- How to BBQ Baked Beets & Radishes: Canada Day Cookout
- How to Grill Pork Tenderloin
- How to Cook Sentationally Stuffed Peppers with Chevre
- Flavor-Packed 4th of July Menu Ideas