You will be so glad that you learned How to Cook Southern Style Fried Cabbage.
How to Cook Southern Style Fried Cabbage:
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Prep Time: 7 – 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield: 4 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1 cabbage – washed, trimmed, quartered, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil or peanut oil
- 1/2 tbsp bacon fat
- smoked sea salt – I used Drogheria Smoked Cyprus Sea Salt.
- freshly ground pepper – to taste; ordinary salt or sea salt is okay
- 1/4 tsp sweet smoked paprika powder – I used La Chinata Sweet Smoked Paprika; regular paprika powder is okay, if that’s what you have
- 1/8 tsp hot smoked paprika – I used La Chinata Hot Smoked Paprika; cayenne is okay, if you don’t have it
- pat of butter
- sprinkling of sugar – if needed
- In a large, hot saute pan, melt bacon fat and olive oil.
- Add cabbage into saute pan. It may seem like way too much cabbage, but it will wilt as it cooks and you will have just enough for 4 persons.
- Season with smoked sea salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder, and hot smoked paprika powder.
- Cook cabbage on medium high heat until the cabbage has softened, stirring frequently, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. If needed, you can add a bit of water to prevent sticking.
- When cabbage has softened to the point that it is as tender as you like it, tasting it from time to time, remove from heat – about 20 – 30 min.
- Add a pat of butter or a bit more, so the cabbage has a nice gloss. Depending on how old the cabbage is, it might need a sprinkling of sugar on it to combat any strong flavor that remains. You could add half of a chopped apple, if you don’t use sugar. Stir through and return to heat for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
We love this cabbage side dish at our house and I feel sure you and your family will find it to be delicious too.
This show is brought to you by Alpha Beta Pie @ AlphaBetaPie.com.
Try making this Southern Style Fried Cabbage – thank me later!
- How to Cook Rice with Bacon, Tomato & Sweet Potato
- How to Roast Smoked Paprika Potato Bites + Video
- How to Roast Kohlrabi + Video
- How to Cook Vegetable Bacon Frittata + Video: Cooking like Alpha Beta Pie
- How to Roast Smoked Paprika Chicken Quarters