This recipe for Smoked Paprika Canadian Fries is super delicious, especially for Canada Day celebrations!
How to Cook Smoked Paprika Canadian Fries:
- Note: The cheese curds really make this recipe spectacular. If you are unable to get cheese curds from your grocer or market, you can use a French cheese or even mozzarella.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Grill Time: 6 – 10 min
Fry/Oven Time: 2 – 3 min
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
- 4 large baking potatoes – peeled and cut into large wedges
- peanut oil or other vegetable oil – enough to meet directions for deep fryer or 3 inches high in a deep pot
- 1 tbsp peanut oil – to brush on all sides of potato wedges
- 1 tsp smoked paprika – either sweet, bittersweet or hot; We use La Chinata Smoked Paprika Powder.
- 2 cups pan gravy – prepared
- cheese curds – as desired
- sprinkle sea salt – as desired
- Preheat grill to hot temperature.
- Cover all sides of potato wedges with peanut oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika
- Place wedges on grill and cook on all sides until you have grill marks on all sides. Remove from grill.
- Place into deep fryer, containing hot oil or deep pot with 3 inches of hot oil, and fry about 1 cup of potatoes at a time. Fry until all sputtering ceases – then remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels and set aside.
- When ready to serve, have oil at 365 degrees F and re-fry for 2 to 3 min or until all fries are golden brown. Then, drain on paper towels.
- Spoon hot pan gravy over fries and hot cheese curds, if desired, over crispy fries.
These Smoked Paprika Canadian Fries have a nice smoky flavor from the grill & the smoked paprika, and the pan gravy makes them superb with chunks of cheese curds to top it all off – a specialty for your Canada Day cookout!
- Happy National Potato Month & a Favorite Spud Recipe
- How to Roast Smoked Paprika Potato Bites + Video
- How to Cook Mom’s Silver Dollar Potatoes
- How to Cook Roast of Beef on the BBQ: Canada Day Cookout
- Explosive Canada Day Cookout Menu Ideas