I love an excuse to make guacamole! Ingrid Turner
Guacamole is a wonderful addition to almost all Mexican cookery.
Varieties of Avocados:
There are 2 varieties:
- Hass Avocado – dark & bumpy-skinned, grow in California
- Fuerte Avocado – larger, green & smooth-skinned, from Florida
My choice for guacamole would be the Hass avocado, which have a richer, smoother flavor & texture, probably because they have twice as much fat content.
Cocktail avocados are seedless miniatures or avocaditos.
How to Tell if Avocados are Ripe:
Ripeness is determined by holding the avocado in your palm & applying gentle pressure. If it gives slightly, it is ripe enough to eat.
Never purchase avocados if they are soft, has black blotches, or has indentations. These will be bitter & slimy.
As is the case with bananas, avocados do not ripen on the tree. Even if they’re hard, they will ripen nicely within a few days.
Once they are ripe, it’s a good idea to refrigerate and use within a couple of days.
How to Make Guacamole:
Type: Appetizer Recipe
- 5 medium ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped scallions
- 1 tsp finely chopped cilantro
- 2 1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt – or to taste
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- a few dashes black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- splash tequila – if desired
- Peel & pit medium sized, ripe avocados.
- Mash in a bowl,, and stop mashing while it is slightly chunky in consistency.
- Add fresh lime juice.
- Stir in fine chopped scallions, fine chopped cilantro, extra virgin olive oil, hot sauce, salt, sour cream, black pepper & diced tomatoes, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature with chips, veggies, or as a condiment of delicious proportions.
Try adding a splash of tequila, if you’re feeling some adventurous, adult fun.
National Guacamole Day can be celebrated every day with this basic recipe you’ll use over & over again.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Avocado Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & eat Deliciously!
- Olé, it’s National Guacamole Day: How to Make Guapa Guacamole
- How to Make Guapa Guacamole
- How to Make Grandstand Guacamole
- How to Make Pico de Gallo Salsa: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Make Meal Nachos: National Nachos Day