National Taco Day is full of fun and flavor!
Crunchy or soft, spicy, tasty and a bit messy too, this Mexican dish is a favorite in the States, to the point that it’s considered Tex-Mex cuisine, and eaten on a grand scale in North America.
The corn tortillas are generally folded and fried for tacos, but the ones purchased from your supermarket are good too.
How to Cook Ground Beef Tacos:
Tacos can be made with a wide variety of meats, but today, we are using ground beef.
Feel free to experiment with this recipe with chicken, pork, shrimp or even fish.
Type: Main Dish Recipe
Serve with: sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro, etc.
Prep Time: 8 min
Cook Time: 20 – 25 min
Serves: 6 (15 – 18 tacos)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/4 cup onion – chopped
- 1 garlic clove – if desired
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 can refried beans – heated up with 1 tsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar – or Monterrey Jack
- 1 avocado – mashed
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- chopped cilantro
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add beef, breaking it up until browned. Drain excess fat, if necessary.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add tomato sauce and cook on low for about 12-15 min.
- Heat taco shells in oven on 250 degrees F for about 5 min or so.
- Once taco shells are heated, smear refried beans into shells, and add a layer of ground beef.
- From this point, everyone can add the toppings they desire – cheese, avocado, lettuce, sour cream, diced tomatoes, cilantro, hot sauce, jalapeño peppers.
* Tip: The toppings can be put into separate dishes, so it’s easier for everyone to add them as they like.
Whether you’re using soft tortillas or hard shells, tacos are certainly worth their day in the sun for National Taco Day!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Mexican Cuisine on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- Web Chef Review: Old El Paso Taco Shells
- National Chili Month Brings a Recipe You Will Love
- How to Cook Beef & Pulled Pork Mexican Lasagna + Video: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Make Meal Nachos: National Nachos Day
- How to Cook Mexican Quinoa Salad + Video: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta