November 27th is National Bavarian Cream Pie Day, and it’s gonna be sweet with this Bavarian Cream Pie recipe.
Chef Marie-Antoine Carême is often credited with inventing this dessert, named in the early 19th century.
photo right: Chef Marie-Antoine Carême
This recipe is for a plain Bavarian cream pie, using a made-ahead pie crust, lady fingers or wafers of your choice.
In this recipe, simple & easy to assemble lady fingers will line a spring form pan, which has been very lightly oiled. Then, the lady fingers line the bottom & sides to hold this creamy filling.
How to Make Bavarian Cream Pie:
Type: Pie Recipe
Serve with: coffee, tea or milk
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 – 20 min
Chill Time: 6 – 10 hrs
Yields: 8 – 10 servings in a 1 3/4 qt spring form pan
- 1 1/4 tsp lime zest – grated
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice – cold
- 2 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a bowl, combine grated lime zest & lime juice.
- On top, sprinkle unflavored gelatin, and allow to stand for 5 – 6 min.
- In a sauce pan, heat milk.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix egg yolks & sugar until they are barely combined, setting aside the egg whites into a large bowl.
- Slowly add & whisk the hot milk into the egg yolks, and transfer back to sauce pan.
- Cook very gently on low heat until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, and gets up to a temperature of 175 degrees F.
- Immediately, pour the hot mixture over gelatin mixture & continually stir until the gelatin mixture is entirely dissolved.
- Strain into a large bowl, setting bowl in an even larger bowl or container.
- Keep stirring mixture until it has completely cooled off, and has slightly thickened.
- In a large bowl, beat 4 of the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks are formed, and gradually add in 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar.
- Increase speed & beat until stiff, but not dry peaks, are formed.
- Whisk egg whites into mixture, and beat rest of egg whites.
- Gently fold them into the custard mixture.
- Beat heavy cream until soft peaks form, and gently fold cream into custard mixture.
- Pour custard mixture into lady finger lined spring form pan, and refrigerate for 6 – 10 hrs.
- Loosen spring form clip & remove rim, exposing lady finger edging.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this German Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Ooey Gooey Crème Brûlée
- National Strawberry Cream Pie Day: Thriller Recipe
- How to Make Fantastically Decadent Fruit Trifle
- How to Cook Perfect Pumpkin Pie Filling
- How to Bake Lemon Cake Loaf with Poppy Seeds