I had the craving for chick peas today and decided to do something different with them than making my hummus recipe!
Chickpea stew is on order today, as it is snowing outside and because I love to eat soup any day!
Lentils can sometimes be substituted or used in addition to the chickpeas.
Moroccan spices are filling the household right now, and we all can’t wait to devour this tasty soup. Try this stew-style African recipe – you’ll love it!
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve With: Drizzle olive oil, toasted sesame seeds, Moroccan bread (Khobz) or my Moroccan Spice Bread for the bread machine
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: Approximately 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil – or pan drippings, if desired
- 1 large onion – diced
- 8 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 6 cups cooked chickpeas – also called garbanzo beans
- 1 can tomatoes – crushed
- 12 cups broth – can include water, tea and/or chicken broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 10 oz baby spinach – or frozen spinach
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- sea salt – to taste
- Saute onions, garlic & bay leaf in a heavy bottomed stock pot with olive oil on medium low heat until translucent.
- Add teaspoons of spices minus sugar and cook through for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add teaspoon of sugar, chickpeas, tomatoes, broth & wine. Stir and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove soup from heat and remove bay leaf. Either mash at least half of the chickpeas in the pot or use a hand blender to do so.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve drizzled with olive oil and topped with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
You can serve this soup with Moroccan bread (Khobz) or with my Moroccan Spice Bread for the Bread Machine.
Serving this vegetarian soup with cilantro as a garnish is also typical.
I hope you enjoyed this Moroccan Food Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Be sure to check out the Cooking with Kimberly Store!
[tags]Moroccan food, Moroccan recipe, Moroccan food recipe, African food recipe, African recipe, soup recipe, chickpea soup, chickpea soup recipe, chickpea recipe, how to cook Moroccan food, garbanzo bean recipe, garbanzo bean soup, vegetarian recipe, vegan recipe[/tags]
- How to Bake Moroccan Spice Bread for the Bread Machine
- One Month Grocery Shopping Strike: Day 2
- How to Cook Healthier Cream of Spinach Soup
- How to Make Roasted Chickpeas – aka Leblebi
- How to Cook Meatball Soup