Potatoes have long been their comfort food in Ireland, as they were introduced in the 16th century.
How to Cook Colcannon:
Traditional flavors of cabbage, onions, potatoes & butter riddle this dish with the wonder of the Emerald Isle.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Prep Time: under 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 4 cups green cabbage – finely shredded
- 2 onions – finely chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 potatoes – cooked & mashed
- 1/3 cup butter
- salt & pepper – to taste
- In large sauce pan, bring cabbage to a boil on medium high heat.
- Reduce to simmer for approximately 10 minutes until tender, but not overcooked.
- Add in mashed potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly while heating through.
- Serve hot.
Try this delicious and hearty Colcannon, if you’re looking to create a traditional Irish dish, especially on St. Patrick’s Day!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this St. Patrick’s Day Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Dublin Coddle: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Irish Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- A St. Patrick’s Day Menu from Web Chef, Kimberly Turner, on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- How to Cook Boxty: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Bubble & Squeak: Cabbage, Bacon & Potato Casserole + Video