If you’ve never heard of Bubble & Squeak before, it’s so named because of the sounds it makes in the pan when you cook it.
Traditionally speaking, this is an old British dish made in a cast iron frying pan with cabbage, potatoes & bacon.
How to Cook Bubble & Squeak:
Type: Main Dish Recipe
Serve with: a big fork
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Serves: 4-5 people
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- bacon fat – to grease baking dish
- 12 slices bacon
- 6 potatoes – or more if you need to fill baking dish
- 1 cabbage – sliced into 1 inch medallions, without the core
- 2 carrots – grated
- cayenne pepper
- 3 – 4 tbsp chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease baking dish with bacon fat.
- Thinly slice potatoes, cabbage medallions, and grate carrot.
- Layer bacon, cabbage, then potatoes, seasoning as you go with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper & dots of butter, to taste.
- Repeat layers until baking dish is filled, finishing with a layer of bacon on the top. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
- Bake in oven on 350 degrees F until it gets nice and crispy on the top.
- Cover in the oven with a loose foil tent prepared with non-stick spray.
- Continue to bake until vegetables are fork tender; check the potatoes.
- Serve as a flavorful side dish or main.
I hope you enjoy this British Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Colcannon: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Southern Style Fried Cabbage
- How to Cook Bacon Mashed Potatoes: Tailgating Central
- How to Cook Linda’s Au Gratin Potatoes: National Potato Day
- How to Cook Salt Crusted Baked Potatoes