This cake is so gooey and delicious – it is irresistible. You will have a treasure of a recipe if you use this recipe for How to Bake Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.
How to Bake a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake:
This was one of the things I desired for our Mother’s Day festivities this year, as my daughter, Kimberly, asked me to choose what I would like to eat!
Type: Dessert Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 30 – 40 min
Yield: one 9 inch round cake
- 1 can of pineapple slices – or equal number of fresh slices
- 4 tbsp butter – melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar – packed
- 15 – 20 maraschino cherries and pecan pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp + 5 tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract – I use Epicureal Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- dash salt
- 7 tbsp butter – softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place drained pineapple slices and drained maraschino cherries on a paper towels to absorb extra liquid.
- Place 4 tbsp butter into bottom of cake pan, coating pan completely. Spread brown sugar over the bottom of the pan.
- Placing 2 pineapple slice in the middle of the pan and the rest of the slices around the center one. Then place one maraschino cherry in the center of each slice and in the spaces between the slices of pineapple.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, 3 tbsp buttermilk and vanilla.
- In a mixer bowl, whisk together the flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in 7 tbsp butter and 5 tbsp buttermilk.
- Mix on low speed, only until flour is moistened and then on medium speed for 1 1/2 min, creating a stiff batter.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture, one third at a time, beating for a few seconds between each addition. * Tips: Scrape edges to be sure to incorporate all ingredients.
- Scrape the batter on top of the pineapples and cherries.
- Bake for 30 – 40 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven, and tilt the cake pan in all directions to loosen the cake from the sides. Allow to stand to cool for about 3 min before unmolding.
- Invert the cake on to a serving tray by placing the tray, upside down, on top of cake pan and picking them both up together, turn them over together and remove the cake pan from cake.
- If any of the fruit or nuts are misplaced during being inverted, they can easily be replaced, and any sugar remaining in the pan can be scraped up with a spoon and drizzled back over the cake.
As if this cake isn’t decadent enough, try adding a dollop of whipped cream…it is incredible.
This is such a decadent cake and one just can’t get enough. After you know How to Bake a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, you will be more confident each time you do so.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Cake Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Bake Perfect Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- How to Grill Pineapple Dessert: Father’s Day Flavor
- How to Bake Lemon Cake Loaf with Poppy Seeds
- How to Bake Dark & Delicious Holiday Fruit Cake
- National Dessert Day: How to Bake Fudge Chiffon Cake