Dark & Delicious Holiday Fruit Cake:
Type: Dessert Recipe
Serve With: Christmas cheer!
Prep Time: 15 min + 1 month of aging
Cook Time: 2 – 3 hrs
Yield: 1 cake/loaf
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour – sifted
- 3/4 cups chopped nuts – almonds or pecans
- 1 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2/3 cup candied cherries – red and/or green
- 2/3 cup candied pineapple
- 1/4 cup dried coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar – packed
- 6 large eggs
- 6 egg yolks – extra
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract – Please use real vanilla extract, not artificial!
- 1/8 cup grape juice
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 6 egg whites
- Mix 1/2 of flour with fruits.
- Mix rest of flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and mace.
- Cream butter and gradually add brown sugar.
- Beat in 6 large eggs and 6 egg yolks.
- Add vanilla extract, grape juice and brandy.
- Use low speed to slowly combine flour mix thoroughly.
- Gently fold in nuts & fruit.
- Beat egg whites separately and gently fold into above mix.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 2-3 hrs or until skewer comes out cleanly.
- Store for 1 month before serving and periodically add 1-2 tbsp brandy. * Tip: If you don’t have that kind of time, it will still be delicious!
- Enjoy for Christmas!
It’s so worth the wait…Just delicious and so much a part of Christmas in our family!
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Incredible Carrot Cake
- How to Make Kimberly’s Canadian Homemade Holiday Eggnog
- How to Bake Dark Brandied Christmas Fruitcake
- How to Cook Brandy Cardamom Pumpkin Custard
- How to Bake Indian Pudding: National Indian Pudding Day