This super healthy recipe for How to Make Curtido de Repollo – Salvador Zesty Cabbage Slaw is an amazing dish, much favored by many Latino families, who include it at their meals, on most days.
Once tasted, when I lived in Dallas, Texas and found it available at a local eatery, “Lillian Pupuseria,” I fell in love with it, and crave it when I haven’t had it for a while. I do try to keep it on hand in my refrigerator – it’s that good!
Curtido de Repollo (Salvadoran Zesty Cabbage Slaw):
Type: Side Dish Recipe, Salad Recipe
Prep Time: 15 min
Marinate Time – 1 – 4 hrs
Yield – 4 – 6 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1/2 cabbage – washed, trimmed, and cored
- 1 carrot – washed trimmed and shredded
- 1 tbsp cilantro – minced
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt – add a bit more, if you use a large cabbage
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 pinches of red chili flakes
- freshly cracked pepper – to taste
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh hot pepper – optional
- Using a sharp knife, finely chop the cabbage, or you could use a food processor if you wish, but be sure not to grate the cabbage.
- Place shredded cabbage into a large bowl.
- Add shredded carrot to the bowl.
- Add in cilantro, vinegar, water, salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, chili flakes, cracked pepper, olive oil and brown sugar.
- Toss with your hands or with two salad forks, making certain that all ingredients are thoroughly combined and the cabbage is coated with the vinegar, oil and spices.
- Allow dish to sit and marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours to allow it to marry all the flavors together and leach the juices out of the cabbage, to moisten the slaw.
Curtido de Repollo keeps well, covered tightly, in the refrigerator for several days. It makes a nice addition to a picnic meal or at a barbeque dinner.
This Curtido de Repollo is so tangy and delicious. This is slaw above and beyond the ordinary. I hope you try this zesty dish and share it with your family and friends.
- How to Make Easy Tuna Rice Salad
- How to Cook Southern Style Fried Cabbage + Video
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Cabbage at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Savoy Cabbage at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- How to Make Layered Salad with Granola & Crackers in a Jar: School Lunch Ideas