How to Bake Buttermilk Plantains:
A change from the commonly served side dishes and what a delicious snack – quick to prepare and nutritious.
Prep Time: 5 min
Bake Time: 15 – 20 min
Yield: 4 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 3 ripe plantains
- 6 – 8 tbsp of breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika – I use La Chinata Hot Smoked Paprika.
- dash cumin
- dash gumbo file – I use Royal Command gumbo File.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare crumb mixture by adding to the crumbs brown sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, hot smoked paprika, cumin and gumbo file. Combine mixture thoroughly.
- Peel plantains and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Dunk plantain chunks into buttermilk making sure to coat them well.
- Dredge plantain chunks with bread crumb mixture to coat them.
- Arrange on a baking sheet that has been lined with a silicone sheet or parchment paper to avoid sticking to the cooking sheet. Allow to stand for a few minutes so the crumbs can better attach to the plantains and dry a little.
- Bake in 325 degree F oven for about 15 – 20 min and they are a golden brown.
The plantains are ever so attractive, served on this day, with Southern Braised Pork Button Bones and Spanish rice.
What a lovely addition to your Cinco de Mayo table or any other time. You are sure to be pleased that you learned how to bake Buttermilk Plantains.
I hope you enjoy this Plantain Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Plantain Tostones: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Bake Plantains Venezuelan Style
- How to Roast Smoked Paprika Potato Bites + Video
- Web Chef Review: Royal Command Gumbo File
- How to Cook Southern Style Fried Cabbage + Video