How to Bake Plantains Venezuelan Style
My family used to take in Venezuelan exchange students when I was in university. Here is a fabulous recipe, thanks to Valentina, that they love to eat in Venezuela. This is just one of the ways they enjoy plantains…It’s absolutely fabulous!
Type: Side Dish
Serve With: Sour cream, if desired
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 15-20 min
Yield: Usually 1 plantain per person for a side dish or appetizer
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Peel plantains and slice in half lengthwise.
3. With flat side up, cut a small wedge lengthwise out of the center of the plantains, so you can fill it with cheese, and set aside.
4. Either grease a cookie sheet with peanut oil or spray with cooking spray.
5. Arrange plantains on cookie sheet so they are not touching, as well as wedges removed from the middle.
6. Fill center of plantains with mozzarella cheese generously, and sprinkle cheese on the wedges you removed too.
7. Sprinkle ground cayenne pepper on them according to your taste and heat tolerance.
8. Put into oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until plantains are soft and cheese is golden.
9. Serve as a side dish or as an appetizer with sour cream, if desired.
My husband is in love with these plantains and looks forward to them the whole time we’re waiting for the plantains to completely ripen!
The key is to be sure the entire skin is brown or black. Then, they are ready and at peak sweetness!
I hope you enjoyed this South American Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
P.S. Check out more marvelous South American recipes in this Cookbook:
- How to Make Maple Brie Spread
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Creamy Corn Casserole
- How to Bake Smores Bread Pudding
- How to Roast Incredible Southern Candied Yams
- How to Bake Incredible Breakfast Pie