These are a healthier version of buns made with all white flour, although you may make them with all white flour or bread flour.
Type: Bread Recipe
Serve With: Softened butter or when making roasted turkey sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 min, 1 hr 20 min rising
Bake Time: 20-25 min
Yield: 2 dozen buns
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato – about 1 whole potato; boil, bake or roast
- 2 cups milk – scalded
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 eggs – beaten
- 2 tbsp yeast – I prefer Fleischmann’s brand.
- 1/2 cup warm water – I use reserved liquid from boiling sweet potatoes for the recipe.
- 2 tbsp flax seeds – * Optional: or other seeds your prefer such as sesame, chia or poppy seeds
- flour: a mix of 4 cups whole wheat & 5 cups white flour (preferred) OR about 1o cups of white or bread flour
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper – if desired
* Tip: Try adding Holiday spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or cloves. You may also use raisins and make them a sweeter version for snacks.
* Tip: Here are 3 variations of this bun that you can create – The 1st is sandwich bun style, 2nd is clover-shaped for snacking or for serving with dinner, 3rd is German Zweibach-style perfect for snacking and alongside dinner.
- Scald the milk in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. This means to heat it, stirring frequently so as not to allow the milk to burn on the bottom of the pan until bubbles form around the edges and the milk steams. Take off the stove to cool slightly.
- Into a small bowl, measure yeast and add warm water (not hot) to the yeast and stir. Set aside.
- Into a large mixing bowl, measure out the honey, molasses and butter. Add slightly cooled milk to the bowl and mix evenly.
- In a bowl, mash warm sweet potato and mix with salt & freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl and add to sweet potato mixture, as long as it’s not hot, and mix through.
- Add sweet potato mixture to large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast and seeds.
- Add half the flour until barely combined. Add 1 cup more at a time and barely combine until the mixture comes off from the sides of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface start kneading dough while adding remaining flour, reserving some to reflour surface. Knead for 10 minutes.
- Either wipe out large mixing bowl or using a new one, lightly grease bowl to put ball of dough into and cover with a linen towel (one without fuzz) and leave in a warmer area for 1 hour to rise.
- Punch down dough and form into slightly smaller than fist-sized balls onto a lightly greased or non-stick baking sheet or use a silicone liner. Cover again with towel and allow them to rise again for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake buns for 20-25 min or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and using a spatula move each bun from it’s baking position so they don’t stick.
Enjoy these buns with roasted turkey sandwiches or alongside your meals.
I hope you enjoyed this Sweet Potato Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly! Until next time…
P.S. Need some new Cookie Sheets?
[tags]sweet potato recipe, sweet potato buns recipe, sweet potato buns, how to bake buns, Holiday buns recipe, Holiday bread recipe, bread recipe, baking buns, vegetarian recipe[/tags]
- How to Bake Homemade Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns
- How to Bake Superb Sweet Potato Bread for the Bread Machine
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Mixed-Up Bread Recipe for the Bread Machine
- How to Bake Pumpkin Bread in a Bread Machine
- How to Bake Easter Paska Bread