You’ll love baking these fresh & fluffy Homemade Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns for BBQs, tailgate parties or anytime you’re enjoying amazing sandwiches!
Each bag was easily over $3.00 for 6 hamburger buns, and 8 hot dog buns.
It then hit me…Why haven’t I ever tried to make my own hamburger and hot dog buns for not only a fraction of the cost, but with no preservatives and they’ll be extremely fresh.
So, I refused to purchase them, forcing me to go home and create this recipe that I’d like to share with you all.
Homemade Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns:
These buns are easy to make, needing only one rising, and they bake up in no time at all. Lovely, light & fluffy, you’ll be happy to know exactly what went into this recipe too.
Type: Bread Recipe
Serve With: burgers or hot dogs
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 10-12 min
Yield: 1 dozen
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup tea or water – lukewarm
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter – softened
- 1 pkg yeast – I prefer Fleischmann’s.
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds – * optional
- In a small bowl, combine yeast with 1 tbsp sugar and 4 tbsp warm, but not hot, water, and allow yeast to proof/bubble.
- On the stove, in a medium sauce pan on medium heat, combine milk, tea/water, and butter until it just about hits the boiling point. Turn off and allow to sit momentarily.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift half of the flour required, salt and 1 tbsp sugar.
- Add yeast mixture to bowl and start adding milk mixture slowly, being sure to incorporate the liquid completely into the dough before adding more, until all milk mixture is added and combined.
- Add remaining flour into dough 1/2 cup or so at a time and combine evenly before adding more, until all flour is incorporated into dough.
- On a lightly floured, flat surface or counter top, knead the dough for 6-8 min or until the dough is very smooth and elastic.
- Form dough into a ball and cut into 4 equal parts. Then, cut each of those parts into 3 individual, even sized pieces to create 1 dozen buns.
- For hamburger buns: Form each piece of dough into a smooth ball and place onto a baking sheet, 6 on each sheet, and slightly flatten each piece of dough. Press sesame seeds or poppy seeds onto the top of the buns.
- For hot dog buns: Form each piece of dough into a smooth ball and then roll between your hands to create a cylindrical shape. Arrange 6 dough balls per baking sheet.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm, non-breezy area covered with linen tea towels, for approximately 30 min or until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake, on convection setting if possible, for 10-12 min or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 min before cutting and serving with hamburgers and hot dogs.
Try out this recipe & see for yourself how much better these Homemade Hamburger & Hot Dog buns are compared to the store-bought variety.
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Sweet Potato Buns
- National Hot Cross Bun Day: How to Bake Hot Cross Buns with Milk Glaze
- How to Bake White Bread: Homemade Bread Day
- How to Bake Crusty Italian Flax Seed Bread
- How to Bake Cinnamon Sticky Buns: Mother’s Day Delights