The 4th Thursday of November is National Stuffing Day!
A day to itself for stuffing? Well, it’s so mouth-watering that I don’t begrudge giving it a day of its own.
My Mother-in-law made wonderful dressing, albeit different from mine, but she would bring us the most delicious rye bread with Stuffing Sandwiches. Her dressing had a more cohesive quality & she could slice it. So, between 2 slices of fresh rye bread, she would enclose the stuffing. It was the best. I wish she had given me her recipe!
How to Cook Turkey Stuffing:
My stuffing fills a 15 lb turkey, and a small casserole dish.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Serve with: poultry
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Yield: for stuffing a 15 lb bird + a small casserole dish
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large onion – minced
- 3 ribs celery – minced
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning – or more, if desired
- 1 tsp gumbo file
- 1 tsp fresh sage leaves – chopped; or 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp parsley – chopped
- pepper – to taste; about 1 tsp
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 8 cups stale bread – cubed
- 1/2 apple
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter. On medium heat, sauté onions on medium heat.
- When translucent, add in celery, poultry seasoning, gumbo file, cayenne, sage leaves, parsley & pepper, to taste.
- When heated through, sprinkle on top bread crumbs & stale bread. Stir through well.
- Remove stuffing from heat & allow it to cool slightly, so you can handle it.
- Using your hands, or a spoon, place stuffing, loosely packed, inside of the turkey cavity. * Tip: You can also stuff the small cavity near the neck, if necessary.
- Cut an apple in half, and remove just the seeds. Plug the opening of the cavity where you stuffed the bird, sealing it inside.
- Roast your bird until it’s reached the appropriate internal temperature.
Serve alongside the roasted turkey, and provide lots of mushroom gravy to enjoy it with.
National Stuffing Day is a great day, isn’t it?!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Food Holiday on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- Holiday Stuffing: Thanksgiving Twists on the Traditional
- How to Cook Turner Family Poultry Stuffing
- How to Cook Vegetable Rice Stuffing for Poultry + Video
- How to Prepare a Turkey for Roasting + Video
- How to Cook Haskap Apple Bread Stuffing + Video