Today is Day 3 of our One Month Grocery Shopping Strike. This is what I made as a side dish for tonight’s dinner using my “cupboard cooking” strategies.
This went with my Coconut Crusted Baked Salmon and peas with toasted coconut.
The reason I combined the lentils with the brown rice is to make a complete protein. It’s very difficult to get my mother to eat meat of any kind. She just doesn’t feel like it much. So, any chance I get, I sneak in a little vegetarian protein.
This makes a complete protein as a meat would because it’s a grain combined with a legume (and seeds, in this instance, but it’s optional)…
Brown rice is much better for you than white rice, and is much more filling, making it a healthier choice, especially if you’re watching your diet.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Serve With: Soup as a side, if desired
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 4 min
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 2 3/4 cups liquid – water, tea or chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tsp coconut oil – or butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in rice cooker and turn on, if you have one.
- If not, please add all ingredients to a saucepan with tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil stirring a few times. Lower heat to simmer and keep covered tightly.
- Cook for approximately 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve as a side dish.
I hope you enjoyed this Vegetarian Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Be sure to check out the Cooking with Kimberly Store!
[tags]brown rice, how to cook rice, how to cook brown rice, rice recipe, vegetarian recipe, side dish, side dish recipe, lentil recipe, brown rice and lentils, complete protein, vegetarian protein, healthy recipe[/tags]
- How to Cook Brown Rice with Crimini Mushrooms
- Why Rice is So Amazing
- How to Cook Beans in a Rice Cooker
- Veggie Chili Challenge
- How to Cook White Rice + Video