From vegetables for side dishes, all the way to chicken & fish, and even apom – steamed cupcakes!
Steaming helps you save calories, as well as keeping the nutrients in the foods you steam, as they are not leaching vitamins & minerals out into boiling water, as when you boil vegetables. Then, you pour out the cooking water and there go your nutrients…down the drain. Steaming saves all that!
For this recipe, I’m using a 2 tier bamboo steamer with a lid, and a wok pan to hold the water on the stove top.
The steaming liquid can be water, stock, wine even…use your imagination, if you like. You may also season your steaming liquid as I did in this show.
Asparagus comes in bunches, which serve 3-4 people comfortably as a side dish. The asparagus I got here is from Harvest Barn Country Markets.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Serve with: Butter, if desired.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 8-10 min
Yield: 3-4 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below:
- 1 bunch asparagus – clean & snapped
- 1 tbsp butter – if desired
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 piri piri chilis – I used Epicureal brand.
- 12 peppercorns – I used White Kampot Peppercorns.
- 1 tsp salt – for steaming water
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- sea salt – to taste
- Wash asparagus, and snap ends off at natural breaking point, separating the tender stalk from the woody end. * Tip: Save woody ends in a resealable plastic bag in the freezer and use for making stocks.
- Boil about 3 inches water in a wok with bay leaf, peppercorns, piri piri chilis and 1 tsp salt added to the water.
- Arrange asparagus in bamboo steamer. * Tip: Be sure to line them up in the opposite direction of the bamboo lining the bottom, so the asparagus don’t fall through the bottom, especially if they are slender stalks.
- Steam for 8-10 minutes with temperature on medium heat – just so the water is simmering nicely.
- Remove from bamboo steamer. Add butter, juice of 1/4 lemon, and freshly cracked pepper & sea salt to taste.
- Serve alongside any meal as a marvelous side dish that’s healthy & delicious.
I hope you enjoy this Asparagus Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Broccoli in a Bamboo Steamer + Video
- How to Use a Bamboo Steamer
- How to Cook Fiddlehead Ferns
- How to Grill Maple Sugar Ham Wrapped Asparagus + Video
- How to Prepare Asparagus for Cooking