How to Use a Bamboo Steamer
When boiling vegetables, their “goods” leach out into the cooking water.
What do you usually do with that water? Dump it down the drain, right?
Start eating healthy now…Also, you may start to cook with more Asian inspiration!
Now, this is what to do:
1. Place your food in a heat-proof bowl or plate, or directly in the bamboo steamer trays and cover it up with the lid.
* Tip: If using a bowl or plate, be sure it is small enough to allow steam to freely circulate!
* Tip: When steaming fish, always use a plate. The resulting juice is delicious over rice!
2. Place the steamer in a large wok or frying pan with just enough water, so that the bottom rim of the steamer tray rests in the water.
* Tip: Be careful not to allow water to boil up into the food when steaming.
3. Steam over medium high heat or high heat for the time indicated in your recipe.
* Tip: Check the water level periodically during cooking and add more boiling water as necessary until the food is cooked. Do NOT allow the pan to dry out!
4. When finished, turn off the heat, take off the lid and wait a few seconds to allow the steam to escape. Then, remove the food to a platter or serve it directly out of the steamer.
* Tip: For convenience sake, you may steam different ingredients on each tier for a whole meal in one steamer.
* Remember: If you steam using both tiers, the lower tier, which is closer to the boiling water, will cook faster. Therefore, either put items that require longer cooking times on the bottom or start the bottom tier first, then add the second tier later.
Rinse and brush the steamer thoroughly with warm water after use to remove any food particles, and allow it to air dry. Store steamers in well ventilated locations.
I hope you find this How to Cook post helpful on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Get your own bamboo steamer and start eating healthier today:
[tags]bamboo steamer, steamer, how to steam vegetables, how to steam, how to use a steamer, healthy cooking[/tags]
- How to Cook Broccoli in a Bamboo Steamer + Video
- How to Cook Asparagus in a Bamboo Steamer + Video
- How to Cook Oysters on the Half Shell in a Bamboo Steamer
- How to Prepare Asparagus for Cooking
- National Corned Beef Hash Day is Here with a Great Recipe