Today, I’m sharing with you how to create a masterpiece of oysters in a bamboo steamer. If you don’t know how to use a bamboo steamer, check out that link and you’ll learn a lot.
Not only does a bamboo steamer provide a healthy way to prepare food, but for this particular dish, it is extremely fast, only 2-3 minutes and you’re done!
Now, we are using an ingredient you won’t actually eat, but that is usually relatively easy to find at your fish monger for an inexpensive price. It’s seaweed, which not only provides a medium to prop up the oysters, but will provide some more moisture, as well as a nice, briny taste of the ocean, which, to me, allows me to eliminate adding salt.
This is a basic way to make oysters in a steamer, and as for flavors, the sky is the limit. Be sure to experiment, have fun, and use bold flavors that will put a smile on your face!
Type: Appetizer Recipe
Serve With: fresh French or Italian bread
Prep Time: 8 mins
Cook Time: 2-3 mins
Yield: 1 lb
- 1 lb fresh oysters – shucked & on the half shell
- 2 cloves garlic – finely minced
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- 1/4 cup green onion/scallion – thinly sliced
- 1/2 large lemon – squeezed over oysters
- seaweed – optional, if available
- Wash oysters, clean beards and shuck, so that oysters is on half shell. Most times, oysters come relatively clean and de-bearded, but wash them again at home.
- With the use of a bamboo steamer with multi-levels, arrange seaweed like Easter grass in a basket is arranged to hold oyster shells in place with oyster sides up.
- Sprinkle garlic & a little white wine over the oysters, and dot with a dime-size amount of butter.
- With the remaining white wine on high heat as the steaming liquid, steam oysters for 2-3 mins.
- Remove from heat, open each layer to serve right out of bamboo steamer.
- Sprinkle with green onions/scallions and squeeze lemon over top, if desired.
Enjoy this appetizer with fresh Italian or French bread to sop up the delicious juices.
I hope you enjoyed this Seafood Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Make Oysters on the Half Shell
- How to Cook Escargots on Garlic Toast
- How to Use a Bamboo Steamer
- How to Cook Broccoli in a Bamboo Steamer + Video
- How to Cook Asparagus in a Bamboo Steamer + Video