I don’t think I know anyone who does not like brownies, especially this recipe for Coconut Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing!
How to Bake Coconut Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing:
I tend to make each bar a little smaller than most & since the base is firm enough that we don’t have to worry about crumbling.
Actually, I prefer to cut the bars; sometimes, since this base is nice & rich, I cut each bar in half again, and it’s like a small chocolate with sweet cream cheese icing & drizzled with chocolate…They seem to go further this way too.
I use a greased 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan, but if you want the brownies a bit thicker, use an 8 x 8 x 2 inch greased pan.
Type: Dessert Recipe
Serve with: a tall glass of milk
Prep Time: 30 min
Bake Time: 24 – 30 min
Cool Time: 1 hr 30 min
Yields: 25 – 30 brownies, depending on size
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp buttermilk – or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a sauce pan on low heat, melt butter & cocoa gently, while stirring. Then, remove from heat.
- Add in buttermilk, but do not stir again.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until foamy.
- Add in sugar, flour, coconut, oatmeal & salt. Do not stir yet.
- Pour cocoa mixture onto top of dry ingredients, and now stir altogether.
- Scrape batter into a greased 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan and press down lightly with your hands.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 24 – 30 min, depending on your oven, or until the edges look like they are pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven & cool completely, for about 1 hr, on a rack.
Set baked brownie base aside while you prepare frosting.
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients:
- 1 1/3 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tbsp cream cheese – softened
- 1 tbsp butter – softened
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp hot water – if desired, you can use hot coffee
Cream Cheese Icing Instructions:
- Beat together, butter, cream cheese & cream until well combined.
- Beat in hot water or coffee until mixed in.
- Slowly add icing sugar & cocoa very slowly until all is blended together. * Tip: If the icing is too thick, add a little cream, a small amount at a time until the icing reaches the desired consistency. It should be firm enough to hold its shape, but soft enough to spread easily & evenly over the base.
You’re in the home stretch, and don’t worry…they’re worth it!
- 1 – 2 oz semisweet or unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 – 1 tsp butter
- After icing sets for at least an hour, melt in a small sauce pan, semisweet or unsweetened chocolate & butter, adding just enough heavy cream – just drops at a time – until the chocolate is a good consistency to drizzle.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over cream cheese icing in uneven lines across the surface of the pan. * Tip: The chocolate should be glossy, not runny.
- Once chocolate drizzle has set, cut brownies into squares or rectangles, as desired, using a greased, sharp knife, so your cuts are clean & even. * Tip: Wipe knife after each cut, so you don’t smear the icing.
You’ll be so glad you made these when you have your first bite of Coconut Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing. Oh yeah!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Chocolate Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Bake Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake: National Chocolate Day
- How to Bake Black Bottom Cupcakes for National Chocolate Cupcake Day
- How to Make Kimberly’s Creamed Cheese Icing
- How to Bake a Christmas Chocolate Log + Video
- National Dessert Day: How to Bake Fudge Chiffon Cake