Blackberry Pie is a true joy of summertime.
This is really a treat for the eyes and the palate. Though, I prefer fresh blackberries, frozen blackberries are acceptable.
How to Bake Blackberry Pie:
I used my Mom’s recipe for the pie shell of this blackberry pie.
How to Bake Mom's Classic Pie Crust
Type: Dessert Recipe
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 35 – 40 min
Yield: on 10 inch pie
- 5 cups blackberries – washed & drained
- 1 cup sugar + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp lemon juice (fresh preferred)
- optional: zest of 1/2 lemon
More Ideas for Citrus Zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Have on hand – bottom pie crust and dough for top crust – either prepared or purchased.
- Usually, you can’t purchase 10 inch diameter pie crusts, so you will have to adjust the amount of filling needed to accommodate the smaller size.
- Using an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 2 tbsp water) – brush the bottom and sides of the bottom crust with this mixture, and allow to set for about 15 minutes, before filling with blackberries.
- Mix about 3/4 of the blackberries (and lemon zest if desired), with lemon juice and combine well. Stir in half of the sugar.
- Transfer blackberry/sugar mixture into the pie crust.
- Sprinkle, using a small sieve, the flour and corn starch over top of the berries in the pie crust.
- Scatter the remaining half of the sugar over the berries and then the remaining 1/4 of the blackberries over the sugar.
- Sprinkle additional 1/4 cup sugar over top of the second layer of berries.
- Roll out top crust and place on top of the pie, crimping and sealing the edges of the pie’s rim. Cut vents or designs into the top crust.
- Brush a little milk over top crust and sprinkle with about 2 tbsp of sugar or more if desired.
- Transfer blackberry pie to oven and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes and then at 350 degrees F for 25 – 30 minutes or until light golden brown, and you can see that the bottom crust has also browned nicely.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
This delicious blackberry pie is even tastier when served with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
How to Make Homemade Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
- Tip: Keep heavy cream cold and use a chilled bowl and beaters.
- Pour 2 cups of cream into mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until frothy and slightly thickened.
- Slowly add icing sugar, as it helps the cream hold the air beaten into it longer
- Continue to beat until suitably thick for topping.
- Tip: DO NOT over-beat the mixture, as it will quickly turn into butter and be unusable as a whipped topping.
- Tip: This sweet cream butter, if you make that mistake, is great for muffins, etc. where you’d like sweet cream butter. So, save it in the fridge or freeze it for future use, if this happens to you.
- As it begins to thicken, turn the mixer on for a very short spurt, then off to check and attain a perfect thickness without clumping.
- Serve on pies, cakes, specialty drinks or anything else fabulous you can think of!
Try this recipe for How to Bake a Blackberry Pie and wow your family and guests with this amazing creation.
- How to Bake Mom’s Rhubarb Pie
- How to Make Amazing Angel Pie
- How to Make a Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- How to Bake Haskap Apple Pie + Video
- It’s National Strawberry Parfait Day! Make One