Rhubarb is so tasty and tangy when harvested in the Spring & Summer, and nothing quite matches the flavor of a Rhubarb Pie.
This is a very simple, straight-forward rhubarb recipe, but the taste is simply delectable.
How to Bake Rhubarb Pie:
This is one of Kimberly’s favorite sweets I make.
Type: Dessert Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 1 hr
Yield: one 9 or 10 inch pie
- approximately 2 – 2 1/2 lbs of fresh rhubarb – washed & trimmed
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups sugar – or a bit more, depending on tartness of rhubarb
- 1/3 cup quick cooking tapioca or cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter – cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp milk or cream
- 2 tbsp sugar – to sprinkle on top crust
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Have ready enough pie dough for one 9 or 10 inch, double crust pie. Roll out and line one pie pan with half of the dough.
- Chop rhubarb stalks into 1/4 – 1/2 inch segments, measure out 6 cups of chopped rhubarb and transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add into the bowl of rhubarb, the sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and salt, and stir to combine thoroughly. Allow mixture to stand for 15 – 20 min and stir occasionally.
- Pour the rhubarb filling into the bottom crust and dot the top of the filling with the little pieces of butter.
- Cover the pie with a top crust and seal edges. Pierce the top in several places to allow the steam to escape during baking, or create a lattice top.
- Lightly brush the top crust or lattice with milk or cream, and evenly sprinkle with 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 35 min and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F for 20 – 30 min more. Pie crust should be golden brown and the juices should be thick and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack.
Serve with ice cream, if you like. It’s always better that way!
This recipe for How to Bake Mom’s Rhubarb Pie is always well received at our house!
- How to Bake Napa Valley Strawberry Balsamic Rhubarb Pie + Video
- How to Bake Blackberry Pie
- How to Bake Rhubarb Tarts + Video: Mother’s Day Delights
- How to Bake Haskap Apple Pie + Video
- How to Bake Easy Bread Rhubarb Apple Cobbler