National Acorn Squash Day is September 7th, and this Baked Acorn Squash with Apples & Pears is a really special side dish recipe.
Acorn squash is one of several varieties of Winter squash. Most common are dark green or orange acorn squash, butternut squash & spaghetti squash. Others include Hubbard, buttercup, turban, Cushaw squash & pumpkins.
Winter squash store quite well throughout the Winter months.
Squash, though full of nutrition, is somewhat bland. So, it welcomes filling & addition of strong flavors, herbs & brown sugar.
How to Bake Acorn Squash with Apples & Pears:
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Serve with: extra butter, if desired
Prep Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 45 – 50 min
Yields: 4 – 6 servings
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 tbsp + 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp + 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/8 inch water – in bottom of pan
- 3 firm apples – peeled, cored & sliced
- 2 ripe pears – peeled, cored & sliced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- orange zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup orange juice or apple cider
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, and grease or butter a large baking casserole dish to accommodate 2 acorn squash.
- In a baking dish, place 2 acorn squash, cut in half, seeded & all strings removed.
- Fill the indents with dots of 2 tbsp butter & sprinkle with 2 tbsp brown sugar.
- Put 1/8 inch water in the bottom of the pan, and bake for at least 45 – 50 min.
- In a bowl, mix together apples, pears, raisins, 3 tbsp dark brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- In a large pan, melt 3 tbsp butter, and add in apple mixture.
- Stir until lightly browned – about 4 – 5 min.
- Stir in orange juice or apple cider, and simmer until the fruit is tender.
- Remove squash from the oven & fill up with the fruit mixture.
- Bake about 10 – 15 min longer. * Tip: Any extra fruit mixture can be served in a bowl at the table.
This baked acorn squash with apples & pears is simply a perfect addition to your repertoire, as well as for National Acorn Squash Day.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Squash Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Roast Acorn Squash + Video
- How to Bake Apples: Apple Day
- A National Apple Betty Day Recipe
- Baked Apples in National Apple Month
- National Apple Dumpling Day: Memories of Mom