Nothing says Fall like Caramel Apples, and October 21st is Caramel Apple Day!
Biting into the apple by biting through that sweet caramel shell is just such a delicious experience. I love the candy apples with red candy coating on them too.
Apples are wonderful at any time, but the caramel just adds a whole new dimension to the flavor of this tasty treat.
How to Make Caramel Apples:
This recipe makes 5 caramel apples.
Type: Candy Recipe
- 5 apples – washed & dried
- 1 lb caramel
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cups butter – cubed
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash & dry apples.
- Melt caramel with water in the top part of a double boiler over boiling water on low heat.
- Add to caramel mixture, butter, brown sugar, salt, light corn syrup & dark corn syrup.
- Stir until sugar dissolves – about 6 min. Wash sides down with a brush dunked in warm water.
- Place a candy thermometer into the pot & cook at medium until the mixture boils. Re-wash down sides, and keep cooking until the mixture reaches 245 degrees F – firm ball stage, approximately 20 – 30 min.
- Remove from heat, and with a wooden spatula or spoon, slowly add in heavy cream.
- Place the candy thermometer into the mixture again and let the temperature rise until the mixture gets to 245 degrees F – not higher.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Skewer apples & dunk into sauce, twirling until properly coated, and allow to stand upright with the apple at the top.
- When set, stand apples on wax paper.
- Note: If you wish, you could also roll in ground nuts, while caramel on apples has not yet set, and turn upside down on waxed paper.
Caramel apples are one of the tastiest treats of Autumn, and now you can make them for Caramel Apple Day.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Apple Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Make Chardonnay Peach Caramel Apples + Video
- National Caramel Month: How to Make Cream Caramels
- How to Make Blood Orange Candy Apples: Homemade Halloween Treats
- How to Make Caramel Corn: National Popcorn Poppin’ Month
- How to Make Chocolate Turtles