October is National Popcorn Poppin’ Month, and I suppose we should be watching movies, cuddled up inside from the cold, rainy weather.
I remember the days when people would make caramel corn balls and give them out for Halloween treats.
How to Make Caramel Corn:
Any method is okay, but my recipe for sweetening or caramelizing corn follows.
Type: Sweets Recipe
How to Make Caramel Syrup:
The syrup should be made ahead of popping the corn, by up to half an hour.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar – packed
- 7 tbsp water
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and water.
- Over low heat until melted, then over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Wash down sides as you go with a pastry brush.
- Heat to softball stage – about 235° F on a candy thermometer.
- Keep warm until popcorn is popped.
How to Pop Popcorn:
Now’s the fun part! Poppin’ the corn kernels!
- 1/2 cup un-popped corn kernels
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- Using a heavy lidded pan or pot, melting butter, add popcorn kernels.
- Put top on and cook until popping stops. * Tip: Shake a bit as you go along to heat all kernels.
- Put popped corn into a large bowl.
Now, you can add peanuts to this mixture at this point, if desired, but it’s not necessary.
- Add caramel syrup to the quart of popped popcorn in the large bowl you put it into by drizzling it over and continually stirring to coat all kernels. * Tip: Work rather quickly, and somewhat gently with the popcorn as you stir it.
- Serve as is in a bowl, or greasing your hands with butter, grab handfuls of the caramelized popcorn and form into balls or other shapes, and allow to cool.
So, pop up some corn for National Popcorn Poppin’ Month!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Corn Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Make Raspberry Caramel Corn Balls + Video
- Web Chef Review: Just Honest Popcorn from the Rocky Mountain Popcorn Company
- National Caramel Month: How to Make Cream Caramels
- How to Make Caramel Apples: Caramel Apple Day
- How to Make Chardonnay Peach Caramel Apples + Video