What is Christmas without Spicy Gingerbread Men Cookies?
I would make a few with added flour & sugar, so they would stand up to handling, skewering a hole near the top, so they could be hung on the tree by a pretty ribbon.
As well, they were delicious to nibble on.
How to Bake Spicy Gingerbread Men:
This recipe yields about 2 dozen 4-inch gingerbread men. If your cutter is larger, you will get a few less cookies.
- Tip: If you are opposed to using nuts, you can replace the nuts with an equal quantity of most any style of oatmeal – it’s delicious this way.
Type: Cookie Recipe
Serve with: coffee, tea or milk
Prep Time: 30 min
Chill time: 2 – 3 hrs
Bake Time: 10 – 15 min
Cool Time: 10 – 15 min
Yields: 2 dozen cookies at 4-inches in size
- 1 cup brown sugar – packed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter – softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup ground almonds – or oatmeal; use blender to grind.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground or grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- raisins – for eyes, noses & mouths
- Combine sugar, molasses, applesauce, butter & corn syrup in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil & simmer 6 min. Then, cool down to lukewarm.
- Stir in egg & almonds or oatmeal, and add flour mixed with spices, baking soda, baking powder & combine well.
- Cover & chill for a few hours. * Tip: Overnight is preferable.
- When ready to proceed, roll dough to a minimum of 1/4 inch thick, and using a gingerbread man cutter, cut out as many men as you are able to.
- Re-roll the scraps & cut more cookies out until there isn’t enough dough, so no dough is wasted.
- Place each man on a greased cookie sheet, and lightly press in raisin pieces for buttons, eyes, nose & mouth, and/or frost & decorate more as you please after baking – it’s up to you.
- If you want to use these gingerbread men for hanging on a tree, use a skewer & then a chopstick to pierce a hole in the head top, if desired.
- Bake one sheet at a time on the middle rack on 325 degrees F for 10 – 15 min. * Tip: Don’t brown these cookies. Be sure to remove them from the oven before browning occurs.
- Before removing cookies from the sheets, allow them to sit in the pan for about 3 minutes. * Tip: While waiting, just make sure the hole is okay & reuse the skewer to open up the holes to hang up, if needed.
- Remove cookies to a cooling rack & allow them to rest until completely cooled.
- Decorate & frost, as desired. Then, if hanging the gingerbread men on the tree, make a hanger with a piece of narrow ribbon.
The house will smell so wonderful as the aroma of the ginger & other spices waft throughout – smelling like Christmas & enjoy the fun as you & family or friends decorate these tasty, little guys.
I hope you will create memories with these Spicy Gingerbread Men as you prepare for the Holidays, whatever you celebrate!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Christmas Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Bake Gingerbread Cookies: Gingerbread Day
- How to Bake Christmas Shortbread Cookies
- How to Bake Christmas Oatmeal Frosties
- Gluten Free Holiday Tiger Nut Shortbread Cookies + Video
- How to Bake Ingrid’s Peanut Butter Cookies: National Cookie Month