What a perfect time to learn how to make a Lemon Jelly Roll.
Easter is the perfect time to present this showpiece of a dessert – A lemon curd filled jelly roll.
How to Make a Lemon Curd-Filled Jelly Roll:
I usually bake lemon meringue pies or angel cake with special sauces, as well as the traditional Paska, but this year, I will add something just a bit different.
Type: Dessert Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 10 – 15 min
Yield: 8 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour – sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup + 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 1/3 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar – sifted; aka icing sugar
- 1 3/4 cup lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a 17 x 11 inch baking sheet with a rim. Grease baking sheet including rim area and fit sheet with parchment to make it easier to remove cake from sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt, making sure all ingredients are well combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks on medium speed with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar to egg yolk mixture, beating until light in color & thickened.
- Slowly add flour mixture to egg yolk mixture, and beat on low until smooth.
- In a separate clean bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites & cream of tartar until soft peaks are formed.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar to egg white mixture, and continue beating until stiff, but not dry, peaks are formed.
- With a spatula, fold 1/3 of egg white mixture into the batter, and then fold in the remaining egg whites. Scrape batter into prepared baking sheet spreading evenly.
- Bake for 10 – 15 min, or when cake is golden brown & it springs back when lightly pressed.
- When baked, remove cake from oven, and run a knife along edges to release cake from pan.
- Invert the cake onto an aluminum foil sheet that has been sprinkled with sifted confectioners sugar.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before peeling off parchment.
- Spread cake with an even layer of lemon curd or lemon pie filling, making sure to leave 1/4″ around all edges free of filling, so it doesn’t ooze out when rolling up the cake. * Tip: It’s okay if there is a small amount of Lemon Curd left over.
- Carefully roll up the cake starting from the short end using the foil as a guide, like you would roll sushi. * Note: To form jelly roll, while cake is still on the tin foil sheet, beginning at short end of cake, carefully fold about an inch of the cake over the filling and press firmly. Any cracking of the cake that could take place will lessen as the diameter of the roll increases. Use the foil under the cake to help roll the cake. Move cake with your hands back to the center of the foil. Place back part of foil to overlap the front part covering the jelly roll completely, and press front part of foil to tighten the roll as you wrap it entirely. Fold ends of foil to hold each end in place.
- Wrap up jelly roll & refrigerate. Ideally, refrigerate at least 2 – 3 hrs before serving.
Place Jelly Roll on an attractive tray and garnish tray with a few thin lemons slices fresh strawberries or raspberries, and a few sprigs of mint.
This recipe for How To Make A Lemon Curd Filled Jelly Roll is worth every minute of preparation, as it is very impressive & delicious – it will WOW your guests and family!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Cake Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Bake Lemon Cake Loaf with Poppy Seeds
- How to Cook Lemon Curd + Video: Easter Surprises
- How to Bake a Christmas Chocolate Log + Video
- How to Bake Sponge Cake: National Boston Cream Pie Day
- How to Bake Chiffon Cake: National Cake Day