The other day, I was looking for a quick meal that I could create with the limited ingredients I had before going grocery shopping.
I had ham, but no bread, and then noticed my handy tortillas and it clicked…
A Tex-Mex/All-American fusion lunch quesadilla.
What is more “All-American” than ham & cheese, right? Well, add a tomato, just to kick it up, make it more moist and give you more of a health benefit.
Now, mix it up a bit with some Tex-Mex spices and you’re on your way to a really fast lunch that you made yourself!
Type: Main Dish
Serve With: sour cream, guacamole and salsa on the side
Prep Time: 8 mins
Cook Time: mins
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 soft tortillas
- ham – sliced, enough to cover surface of one tortilla
- 1/2 large tomato – sliced
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese – or Tex-Mex mixture
- 2 dashes chili powder
- 2 dashes cumin
- 3 dashes dried oregano
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- 1 tbsp peanut oil – to coat tortillas & frying pan
- Preheat large frying pan on medium low heat with ~ 3/4 tbsp olive oil.
- With a pastry brush, coat one surface of each soft tortilla.
- Place 1st soft tortilla, oiled side down in centre of large, preheated frying pan. Arrange in an even layer on the bottom of the quesadilla, the sliced ham, then the sliced tomatoes, topped with shredded cheese and sprinkled with spices to taste. Place 2nd soft tortilla directly on top with the oiled side up.
- Allow to pan fry on medium low heat for about 4 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.
- Flip quesadilla over by using a dinner plate. Place the eating side of the plate down on top of the quesadilla in the frying pan. Put your hand on top of the plate in the centre to hold the plate in the pan as you flip the frying pan upside down with the other hand. You will have the quesadilla flipped over on the plate. Slide it gently into the frying pan to finish browning the other side of the quesadilla, about 3 minutes.
- Once both sides of the quesadilla are golden brown, gently slide out of the pan onto a cutting board to cut into 4-6 pieces, depending upon size of your tortillas.
- Serve with
I hope you enjoy this Quick Meal Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Cook Goat Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper & Crimini Mushroom Quesadilla
- How to Cook Spicy Cream Cheese Stuffed Tortilla Rolls
- Web Chef Review: Desert Pepper Trading Co. Quesadilla Maker
- How to Cook Grilled Cheese Chicken & Tomato Sandwiches
- How to Cook Huevos Rancheros