Russian Pancakes are always a treat around our house.
There are so many kinds of pancakes, I hardly know where to begin.
They can be prepared on your kitchen stove, table-side, a BBQ grill pan or electric griddle.
Regardless of what one calls them, pancakes, crepes, blintzes, griddle cakes, batter cakes or flap jacks, they are easy to mix & make.
Until I did my own grocery shopping, I never realized that you could purchase pancake mix, and that there are so many variations of pancakes.
How to Cook Russian Pancakes:
My grandmother’s recipe for “Russian Pancakes” follows and yields about 12 dinner plate sized, thin pancakes.
- Tip: Mix wet ingredients quickly into the dry, and do not over-beat – just enough to barely wet the dry ingredients.
Type: Breakfast Recipe
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter – melted
- In a large bowl, mix together all purpose flour, sugar & salt.
- In another bowl, stir together whole milk, eggs, vanilla extract & butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry & quickly whisk together.
- Into a hot, buttered pan on medium high, depending on your stove, using a ladle-ful of batter, pour into sauté pan. Pick up frying pan to swirl batter to the edges of the pan evenly. * Tip: Your pancake will be about the size of a dinner plate.
- When the pancake is dry around the edge, and the batter becomes firm, flip over for less than a minute. * Tip: After cooking the first one, use that as your timing guide.
- Continue until batter is gone.
I like to have everyone at the table, and serve as I cook each pancake. If you cook all before serving, butter the tops, as you stack, and cover in a warm oven.
Russian Pancakes are great with maple syrup or just a light sprinkle of sugar.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy Russian Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Perfectly Fluffy Pancakes
- How to Cook Breakfast Crepe-Cakes
- How to Cook Classic, Fluffy Pancakes
- National Pancake Day: A Favorite Family Recipe
- How to Cook Breakfast: Black Currant Pancakes