…Soups, stews, casseroles cooking in the oven, baking things, and using different methods to cook than in other seasons.
Long simmering, flavorful stocks & broths adorn our taste buds, and we crave it as soon as football season hits, don’t we? Well, here in North America, we do…
Root vegetables like sweet potato, parsnip, carrot & onion recipes will top the charts in cooler seasons, for sure.
Today’s gorgeous recipe is a French Onion Soup made from absolute SCRATCH – from roasting your own bones for beef broth, slow caramelizing the onions, and finally assembling them in super cool ramekins with ooey gooey mozzarella cheese all over the tops.
When I was little, I just loved it when my mother made French Onion Soup at home. It was the coolest soup ever since it had so much of that melted cheese in it. Kids love this dish!
In this cooking show, I’m showing you how to assemble & serve this soup in Vyatka Stoneware Ramekins from FromRussia.com, but you can surely use other dishes as well. The cooking is all the same, nonetheless.
Now, I prelude this recipe by saying, it takes time…quite a bit of time, but you can do it. It will be delicious. You’ll have done it all yourself. Here’s how…
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve With: French bread for dunking
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 5 hrs total
Yield: Serves 2-3
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below:
Ingredients for Roasting Bones for Beef Broth:
- 5-6 beef soup bones
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can tomato paste
- sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Instructions for Roasting Bones for Beef Broth:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare carrots & celery by washing, peeling if necessary or desired, and cutting into 3-4 large chunks each.
- Peel onion and reserve skins for broth later, if desired. Cut in half leaving root end on.
- Place beef soup bones, carrots, celery in a large baking dish, and coat with olive oil and half the can of tomato paste. Sprinkle with sea salt & pepper.
- In a small pouch made of aluminum foil, prepare head of garlic by chopping off top, drizzling with olive oil, sprinkling with salt & pepper and twisting it up, placing in corner of baking dish with rest of ingredients.
- Roast for 25-30 min.
- Take out of oven, turn everything over & coat with remaining tomato paste on other side.
- Put back in oven for an addition 20-30 min.
- Remove from oven.
Ingredients for Beef Broth:
- bones & vegetables from roasting pan
- 5-6 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole clove
- sea salt – to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup wine – optional to deglaze baking dish from roasted veggies
- water or tea – to cover bones & veggies in pot
- sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg – optional
Instructions for Beef Broth:
- Place all ingredients into large pot on medium high heat, starting with cool or lukewarm liquid to cover everything. * Tip: If you reserved onion skin & garlic skin, add that too.
- Bring up to a boil and turn down to a simmer for a few hours, preferably 2-3.
- Strain into another pot, measuring cup or container and discard what you’ve strained.
- Set aside.
Ingredients for Caramelized Onions:
- 2 onions – peeled & cut into rings
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- splash wine – optional
- sea salt – to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
Instructions for Caramelized Onions:
- While broth is simmering for a few hours, preheat large frying pan on medium heat with olive oil.
- Slice onions into large, even, thin rings.
- Add butter to pan & add onions to pan, stirring for a few minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Turn down to low or medium-low and slowly caramelize these onions until they have reduced greatly in volume, and have turned brown and sweet. This should take close to an hour. Stir frequently.
- Remove from pan and reserve for soup assembly.
Ingredients for Soup Assembly & Final Cooking:
- beef broth
- caramelized onions
- 2 slices bread
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- sprinkle Parmesan cheese – optional
Instructions for Soup Assembly & Final Cooking:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Into stoneware ramekins, add half of the caramelized onions into each.
- Pour beef broth on top to 2-3 inches from the top of each ramekin.
- Cover with lids, place on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 20-25 min.
- Cut out 2 rounds from 2 slices of bread with a large, round cookie cutter, using the top of a glass or a measuring cup. Use a cutter that has the same size or smaller than the opening of the ramekins.
- Toast bread rounds in toaster or in oven while waiting for soup to cook.
- Remove ramekins from oven and remove lids after 20-25 min.
- Float a round of toasted bread on top of each soup ramekin and cover with mozzarella cheese, evenly divided.
- Leaving lids off of the ramekins, place under broiler for 3-4 min or until cheese is melted, bubbling & slight turning golden brown on edges.
- Remove & serve with lid ajar, as well as extra French bread for dunking.
I hope you enjoy this French Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Beef Stock + Video
- National Corned Beef Hash Day is Here with a Great Recipe
- How to Cook Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup with Extra Sharp Cheddar
- How to Cook Meatball Soup
- How to Cook Caramelized Onions