The creaminess of this soup comes from tofu and the cheese instead of cream, and this power-packs it with protein since it’s a meatless soup.
Try it – it’s superb!
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve With: Fresh, crusty bread
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 mins
Yield: Serves approximately 8 people
- 1 bunch of Broccoli – Washed and chopped including stem sliced
- 1 large Onion – Chopped
- 1 Green Pepper – Chopped
- 4 cloves fresh Garlic – Roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley – Roughly chopped
- 8 cups Chicken Broth – Or use vegetable broth for a vegetarian dish
- 1 pkg Firm Tofu – 454 g
- 2 cups Skim Milk
- 2 cups extra old sharp Cheddar Cheese – Grated
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- freshly cracked Black Pepper – To taste
- Sea Salt – To taste
- Sautee onions in olive oil with spices in a large stock pot until transluscent or lightly browned on medium heat.
- Add garlic, broccoli and green pepper and continue to sautee for an additional 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tofu and chicken broth and bring up to a boil on medium high heat.
- Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- With a hand blender, on low heat, blend soup until it’s the consistency you prefer. *Tip: If you like chunks in your soup, blend it less. If you like it completely smooth, blend it completely. * Tip: Use a standing blender if you don’t have a hand blender.
- Add grated cheese handful by handful by sprinkling it into the pot, stirring until it’s completely melted and evenly distributed and repeat for rest of cheese.
- Adjust seasonings by tasting before serving with fresh, crusty bread. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this Healthy Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly! Until next time…
P.S. Looking for great low-fat soup recipes? Check out this handy cookbook:
[tags]broccoli recipe, cream of broccoli soup, broccoli and cheese soup, broccoli, creamy soup recipe, healthy soup recipe, healthy recipe, soup recipe[/tags]
- How to Cook Healthier Cream of Spinach Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Healthy Green Garden Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Cream of Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Favorite Creamy Mushroom Soup + Video
- How to Cook ‘You’ll Never Believe It’s Healthy’ Creamy Mushroom Linguine