One of my favorite things to enjoy when I lived down in Texas was turkey legs.
They always had turkey legs at Trader’s Village in Grand Prairie just outside of Dallas, which is an enormous flea market, and they must have sold hundreds of these turkey legs on any given day on the weekends.
These turkey legs were smokey and barbecued to perfection.
We are not BBQ’ing tonight. Instead, we are roasting these gorgeous legs and looking for that “fall off the bone” experience we all know and love.
This recipe is simple, but can be kicked up to the highest limits, if you so desire to. However, the basic premise of roasting these bad boys is the same. Kick up the flavors and you’re all set to look like an uber-professional chef in your kitchen!
- 2 turkey legs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt – to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper – to taste
- After defrosting your meat, which is best done by allowing the meat to naturally defrost in the refrigerator or on the counter. If you’re in a hurry, you can always use the microwave to gently defrost your meat.
- Rinse turkey legs off under cold water, and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
- In whatever roasting pan you desire to roast your poultry in, baste turkey with softened butter with a pastry brush or massaging them with your hands, and start layering some flavors by sprinkling pepper, salt, cayenne pepper & paprika – or whatever flavors you’re looking for.
- Allow to brown skin in oven on 500 for 5-7 minutes. Take out of oven, lightly cover with aluminum foil lightly on top.
- Reduce heat to 325-350 degrees and roast until internal temperature of turkey is 190 on the reading of a meat thermometer. If you have to eyeball it, juices should run clear when sliced near joint.
Enjoy these turkey legs with gravy, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables and/or stuffing!
I hope you enjoy this Turkey Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Roast a Turkey Quarter + Video
- How to Prepare a Turkey for Roasting + Video
- How to BBQ Turkey Legs + Video
- Tips for Roasting Turkey: National Turkey Day
- How to Stuff a Turkey for Roasting + Video