Doughnut Appreciation Day will be fun because we’ve made Honey Dipped Doughnuts!
Quick Donut-Making Tips:
When you mix doughnut doughs, have all your ingredients at room temperature.
Stir dry ingredients into the wet quickly until barely blended. This avoids having gluten develop in the dough, which makes the donut dough tough.
How to Make Honey Dipped Doughnuts:
The last doughnuts I gave the recipe for were made without yeast, as it was my first doughnut recipe I ever made (Sour Cream Doughnuts), but this one has been successful as well.
Type: Dessert Recipe
Serve with: a mug of tea or coffee
Prep Time: 25 min
Chill Time: 4 – 15 hrs
Total Rise Time: 2 hrs
Fry Time: 4 – 5 min per small batch
Glaze Cook Time: 8 – 10 min
Cool Time: 15 – 20 min
Yields: 20 doughnuts
- 2 1/2 envelopes active dry yeast – about 5 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 cups + 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cups + 3 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter – softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- grated zest of 1/2 lemon or orange
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Mix together warm water with active dry yeast. Allow yeast to bloom, at least 6 or 7 min.
- Add 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour & whisk until smooth.
- Cover and allow to stand about 35 min at room temperature.
- Whisk in sugar, softened butter, eggs, vanilla extract, salt & zest of 1/2 lemon or orange.
- Add in slowly & beat 3 2/3 cups all purpose flour with a paddle or dough hook until the dough wraps around the paddle or hook and away from the sides.
- Remove dough and cover with a wrap. Allow to rise to about double at room temperature.
- Punch down & wrap in plastic, and place in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 4 – 15 hrs. * Tip: It will rise & puff up.
- Roll dough to just under 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with a cutter.
- Allow cut out donuts to rise until puffy & soft – approximately 1 hr.
- Fry in a deep fryer at 375 degrees F or a large pot until each side is golden. * Tip: Check first doughnut to be sure the inside is cooked, and this will be your guide for doneness of the rest.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Set a wire rack over an oven baking sheet.
- In a sauce pan, mix together confectioners sugar, honey & 1/3 cup water. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to simmer & is entirely smooth.
- Remove from the heat, and one at a time, drop cooked donuts into honey glaze. Turn the doughnuts to glaze both sides. * Tip: Use a long skewer or chopstick to remove donuts from the glaze and place on the wire rack. * Tip: If the glaze gets too thick, warm it slightly over low heat.
- Allow glazed donuts to stand for 15 – 20 min or until the glaze dries.
- Note: Doughnuts should still be warm from frying when dunked into glaze.
Doughnut Appreciation Day will be tons of fun with these honey dipped doughnuts.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy these Sweets on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Make Sour Cream Donuts: Buy a Doughnut Day
- How to Bake Traditional White Bread + Video
- How to Bake White Bread: Homemade Bread Day
- Swedish National Cinnamon Roll Day: How to Bake Cinnamon Rolls
- National Hot Cross Bun Day: How to Bake Hot Cross Buns with Milk Glaze