November 17th is Homemade Bread Day, and Bread is “The Food of Life.”
It’s one of the oldest foods, and most fundamental to our existence – remember: “bread & water.” Nothing is more basic & we can’t live without water either. Bread connects man to his historical roots…changing flour & water into bread.
As bakers everywhere discover, it is a realization of the delight of true flavor, and a satisfying joy.
From beginning with wheat & rye, French, Italian & sourdoughs, to more sophisticated braided coffee cakes, Danish pastry and everything in between, we’ve perfected the kneading by hand or electric mixer with dough hooks.
We are so very well rewarded with wonderful textures & flavors in return for our effort, and the aroma scents the air & stimulates our senses, speaking to us of comfort, warmth & love.
How to Bake White Bread:
My simple recipe for white bread is one I’ve used for years, calling for room temperature ingredients & two greased loaf pans.
Even grained, this bread won’t stale quickly, and cuts very well for sandwiches.
Type: Bread Recipe
Serve with: softened butter
Prep Time: 25 min
Rise Time: 2 1/2 – 3 hrs
Bake Time: 33 – 38 min
Yields: two 9 x 5 inch loaves
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp shortening
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 5 cups flour
- In a large bowl, prepare yeast with warm water, active dry yeast & sugar. Allow yeast to bloom – about 10 min.
- In a small sauce pan, scald milk. Then, add sugar, shortening, butter & salt.
- To the yeast mixture, add 2 flour and beat in the milk mixture. Then, add another 3 cups flour slowly, and mix until incorporated. * Tip: If needed, knead in up to 3/4 cup flour. Only add enough until the dough is no longer sticky on your hands, and is smooth.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, and turn over the dough ball, so it gets a bit of the oil on both sides. Cover with plastic wrap, and a damp towel.
- Allow dough to rise until it’s doubled in bulk.
- Punch down, and allow to rise again.
- Halve dough & form into loaves. Transfer to loaf pans and allow them to rise again in a warm location.
- Bake in a preheated oven at a temperature of 450 degrees F for about 8 min.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F, and bake for another 25 – 30 min.
- Bake until golden & the loaves sound hollow when tapping the bottoms.
- Remove loaves from pans & cool standing on their sides.
Cool this bread completely before slicing.
More Bread Recipes:
Cooking Shows: Bread Recipes + Reviews
Homemade Bread Day can be on the regular when you have this perfect, basic white bread recipe in your pocket!
- How to Bake Traditional White Bread + Video
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Mixed-Up Bread Recipe for the Bread Machine
- How to Bake Bread with Raisins: Raisin Bread Month
- Swedish National Cinnamon Roll Day: How to Bake Cinnamon Rolls
- How to Bake Cranberry Rye Bread in a Bread Machine